Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i put my child on my tax return even if their other parent is claiming them?

My fiance is claiming our child, so i am not sure if i still have to put them on my tax return. Or would i put i do not have any dependents?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnaB

You would not enter your child on your tax return.  You would indicate you have no dependents.

Only one person can claim a dependent (except for certain exceptions for divorced or separated parents).

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AnnaB

You would not enter your child on your tax return.  You would indicate you have no dependents.

Only one person can claim a dependent (except for certain exceptions for divorced or separated parents).

But turbo tax asks you have a child and then afterwards if your claiming the child or have a deal with the other parent to where they will, which I said they would and it said to still leave the info but that I wasn’t claiming him.... I’m confused
kennochs

I am confused by this as well, did you ever figure it out by chance?

If you are living together unmarried with the child's other parent, it is best to the parent who is not claiming the child to leave them off completely.  

Yes this is confusing and a few of us have been complaining about it for years.  There is a special rule where the tax benefits of a dependent can be "shared" between parents who are divorced or separated and live apart.  It does not apply to parents who live together unmarried.  When Turbotax asks, "is there a legal agreement allowing the other parent to claim the child" you must answer NO if you are living with the other parent, this question only applies to a legal custody arrangement between divorced or separated parents who live apart and share custody.  Answering "yes" (thinking that it applies to a verbal agreement between two parents living together) will cause you to file improper tax returns and either claim excess benefits, or fail to claim allowable benefits, or both.

Apparently, the geniuses in marketing think that asking "do you live together unmarried with the child's other parent" is too delicate a question for a tax return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies