Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

business name in 1040 schedule C

I received 1099NEC because I taught a lecture in another university. I did not register a business to teach, nor do I have a business name for it. Although I do not anticipate teaching another lecture in the foreseeable future, I learned that I will have to complete 1040 schedule C. I entered the business code, which I found in the instruction of 1040 schedule C, but I am currently stuck at line C - business name. Instruction from Turbotax Delexe 2022 says the line can be left blank if "no separate business name". However, I tried both

a) enter nothing into line C, and

b) enter a blank into line C

neither enables Turbotax to transmit my tax return electronically. Turbotax would just day "before you e-file, we need a little more information that we didn't need earlier" and redirect me to line C of 1040 schedule C, and the cycle goes on and on.

Can anyone let me know how to get around it and e-file my tax return?  Or do I have to file in paper?  Please let me know if I could provide any related information.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

the business name & address can be your name & address. . when you went through the interview process there should have been a question about using your name as the business name. there should have been a similar question about using your address as the business address.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

As Mike9241 posted there is a question series about your business in the interview process that will address this for you.

To get to the business information section in TurboTax you can follow these steps:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax
  2. Use the magnifying glass icon to search for self employed income (use this exact phrase, don't add a hyphen) and select the Jump to link at the top of the search result
  3. Click Edit next to the work you are reporting
  4. Scroll to the Business Profile or Business Summary section (depending on if you are using the CD/Download or Online software)
  5. Click Start/Edit and click Edit for the Business Name
  6. Make sure you have selected I use my own name for my business name or No, the business is not named (depending on the version you are using)
  7. Also verify you are using your home address for your business.

@mulleryi 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies