Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

j2kcali

Bought TurboTax Premier 2020 Costco. Filed late in 2023 cd wasn't working so had to file manually. I need to AMEND. Website isn't letting me download license code.

My CD is BAD. TurboTax website says:  This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads.  It's not working/bad CD. What can I do if I already paid for it?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Bought TurboTax Premier 2020 Costco. Filed late in 2023 cd wasn't working so had to file manually. I need to AMEND. Website isn't letting me download license code.

Before you go further----you are trying to amend a 2020 tax return?    What kind of change are you trying to make?   It is too late to amend a 2020 return and get a bigger refund, so if that is what you are hoping to do, it will be a waste of time.  The deadline to do that was May 17, 2024.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you do need to file an amended 2020 tax return:

I'm not sure what you mean by "cd wasn't working so had to file manually." When you say "cd wasn't working" do you mean that you were not able to use TurboTax at all? When you say "had to file manually" do you mean that you filled out paper forms by hand in order to file the tax return?

If you did not file the original tax return with TurboTax, amending it with TurboTax will not be easy because you don't have the original tax return in TurboTax. An amended return uses the original return as a starting point. If you don't have a .tax2020 file for the original return, you would first have to recreate the original return in TurboTax, making sure that it exactly matches the return that you filed. Then you would use that recreated return as the starting point for an amended return.

If you purchased a CD from Costco, I don't think your license code would be on the TurboTax web site. You probably have to contact Costco for help. You could try calling TurboTax support and see if they can help you.

j2kcali

Hi, Yes, I was NOT able to use the TurboTax Premier 2020 cd at all.  I CAN file an amendment to 2020 because I originally filed April 2023 (made the deadline).  The rules state you can file an amendment three years from the date of filing.

j2kcali

I have three years from the date I filed which was in 2023 to file an amended return for my tax year 2020.  Yes, normally you are correct.  If I filed in 2021 for 2020 then the deadline passed.  I filed late right before I missed the three year cutoff.  Therefore, I CAN file an amendment.  I need to refile as I had a major medical event that year and need to do the medical mileage and recover those expenses.

j2kcali

Hi, Yes, I was NOT able to use the TurboTax Premier 2020 cd at all.  I CAN file an amendment to 2020 because I originally filed April 2023 (made the deadline).  The rules state you can file an amendment three years from the date of filing.

I have three years from the date I filed which was in 2023 to file an amended return for my tax year 2020.  Yes, normally you are correct.  If I filed in 2021 for 2020 then the deadline passed.  I filed late right before I missed the three year cutoff.  Therefore, I CAN file an amendment.  I need to refile as I had a major medical event that year and need to do the medical mileage and recover those expenses.

Here's another way.

You must have a copy of the original tax return you want to update (or a transcript).

The simplest way is to prepare your correct tax return (using TurboTax for example, or other means) and print it.
Then lay the paper printouts of both returns (correct and original) side-by-side.
You now have all the information needed to prepare Form 1040-X by hand.
It's pretty straight-forward.

The blank form in fillable PDF format and its instructions are available at www.irs.gov.

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Include any new/corrected document only if it shows federal tax withheld, and include in order only those Sequence Numbered tax forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment.
Attachment Sequence Number is on all the forms and Schedules that come after 1040.

If you are using TurboTax you have to do this by visual comparison. The program won't break out those pages for you.
If your amendment dropped a form,
you should include with Form 1040-X a new copy of the form(s) with -0- in the appropriate lines.
---
If any forms specify an attachment, put all those attachments at the end in the same order as the forms they go with.

Mail to the address shown in the Instructions.

---
There are other tax prep sites on the internet that will do your 2020 return again (federal) for no charge.

@j2kcali 

I encountered the same problem and am going through this very process (filing amend by hand). My tax return is over 20 pages long. Lesson learned. I will never use Turbo Tax to file my taxes again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies