Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Blank screen

When I am on federal taxes, I select investment income: stocks, crypto,...  Then it asks did you sell and of these investments?  I press "Yes".  Then the screen says, "OK, lets start with one investment type
"".  I choose Stocks, Bonds Mutual funds. Press "Continue"   Then I get a blank screen.Nothing I do can get past the blank screen, except to choose in the menu.

On the bottom left of the blank screen it shows Show Schedule D.  Click on that and schedule D shows up.  I cannot enter anything, quickzoom doesnt work, only thing I can do is hide schedule D and return to the blank screen. 

Anyone know what is going on???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Blank screen

@mazh I think I found a trick to be able to create a Box A or Box B form without having to Click the "Add More Sales" button.  Here's the procedure.

1.  You can to create the form by importing a TXF with a dummy transaction in it

• TXF is a special file format that can be used to export 1099B transactions from other financial software to TurboTax
  • In this case I hacked a TXF file with just 1 transaction in it which goes to category Box B
  • It will be imported through a different menu option:  File -> Import -> From TXF Files...
  • This will create a Stocks form with 1 dummy transaction in Box B
  • From there you can see and edit the new form and add your transactions to it similar to a "Stocks..." form

First - Back up a Copy of your tax file because you don't want to be experimenting on it and possibly break it.

1.  Create a text file with the following and save it with the name test.TXF

V042
AQuicken 2011 for Windows R1
D04/08/2023
^
TD
N711
C1
L1
P100 QCOM
D01/02/2011
D01/15/2011
$1700
$2000
$
^

(this text file basically contains 1 Box B transaction in it which will be imported through the Import TXF... option).  Make sure it was saved as "test.TXF" with a TXF extension.

2.  Go to File->Import->From TXF Files..

3.  Select "Choose A TXF File..." and select the TXF file.

4.  Select Continue...

5.  It will ask "These Documents Are Ready For Import" and it'll have a 1099B with 1 transaction on it. 

6.  Click "Import Now.." then Select "Done" when it shows you've finished importing your info.

7.  Then go back to "Wages & Income", and a new "Untitled" form will be there listed as "Stocks, bonds, etc." and will show "Needs Review"

8.  You can click on "Review" and it'll ask you the name of the bank or brokerage.  Enter whatever you want to call the form as usual.

9.  You can now add 1 sale of your own to that same form (it can even be a temporary dummy sale, this is just to keep the form around now that you've created it).  This will keep the form intact once you remove the imported TXF.

10.  Go to File->Remove Imported Data->TXF File Name (test.TXF) -> Remove All to remove the test.TXF data.

11.  The form should still be there with your 1 dummy transaction in it.  You can now add and edit the form as usual.

If you want to create another form, you can repeat the process with the same file (this assumes you already did Go to File->Remove Imported Data->TXF File Name (test.TXF).  Another option might be to rename test.TXF to something else and import again if that doesn't work.

It's a little bit complicated but it is a way to bypass the blank screen issue and get your form created.

View solution in original post

35 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Blank screen

Are you still experiencing this problem?

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Blank screen

Nothing worked.  Latest updates installed.  Gave up.

Blank screen

Which operating system are you using, Windows or Mac, with the TurboTax desktop software?

Blank screen

Mac desktop version.

Blank screen

Darn...If you were using Windows I have a procedure that would probably correct the problem you are having with a blank screen.

Do not have a fix for a Mac

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Blank screen

Some Mac users are reporting issues with the screen size in certain areas of the program in that the button needed is not showing on the screen.

To adjust the resolution on your screen, you could try the steps on this Apple Support page:

On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Displays in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Select the display you want to adjust, then select the resolution you want to use. You may be able to turn on “Show all resolutions” to see additional resolutions for the display.

Depending on how you adjust the resolution, some app windows may not fit entirely on the screen. Using a scaled resolution may affect performance.

In the alternative, you could hook up a separate monitor to your Mac to see if this resolves the issue.

You can also check to see if you have the latest version running. On a Mac, simply quit and reopen TurboTax. If there are any updates, you'll be prompted to download them. Once you've done this, try again. 

@whodiini

Blank screen

Its not an issue with the window size. I can see at the bottom lower left, showing "open schedule D", which works.  The blank screen is the onestep screen.

Blank screen

Did the usual thursday critical updates.  No change to blank screen.  I can click on selling a home and it works, but not for stocks - blank screen.  Giving up on turbotax,

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Blank screen

Try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies if you are using TurboTax Online, and reopen TurboTax.  You can also try a different browser.

Also, make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

If that doesn't work, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

kevh
Level 1

Blank screen

I have this exact same problem right now as well. Can't manually add a 1099-B, just hit a blank screen. It works if I start a brand new tax return file, just not with my existing file.

Unfortunately I can't start from scratch since I already filed my taxes, and I'm actually trying to get started on an amendment since I forgot a 1099, and now I can't add one. Called support and nobody has been able to help me.

Probably won't use TurboTax next year.

Blank screen

In the same boat as kevh (filed taxes, forgot a 1099, now trying to amend and getting the blank screen). Also probably not going to use TurboTax next year. Definitely not if this bug can't be fixed.

mazh
Level 2

Blank screen

I'm seeing the same issue as everyone here (except I'm not attempting to amend my filing, I'm trying to file for the first time).

I have TurboTax 2023 Premier (for Mac) version, not the online version.

If I click "Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds" (the first of 3 boxes), I get a blank screen. The only thing I see is in the bottom left  "show Schedule D". But no wizard. Impossible to know what number to plug in where in the form without the wizard.

Symptom has nothing to do with display resolution.

The other two boxes seem to work, but don't work for what I need (RSU/ESPPs).

I was able to use the exact same feature in TTax 2022 to enter my ESPPs/RSUs and it worked.

Something's gone bad in the 2023 version.

I've installed all the updates.

Is anyone working on the fix?

trbo98

Blank screen

Also having the same issue, I hate turbo tax 

mazh
Level 2

Blank screen

The only remedy I found is to use the "Other" box (i.e., the 3rd option) which does not appear to have anything to do with stocks.

After going through one or two screens, you should find a pull-down menu where you can select "RSU" and "ESPPs". 

It appears to work (although I can't vouch for the calculations, and some of the questions are confusing).

I also spent a couple of hours w/ Turbo Tax tech support earlier this week. Using screen sharing, the rep was able to confirm the "blank screen" problem I was seeing. 

The rep was skeptical that a fix would be available before April 15, but the hope is that it would be fixed by next year.

The rep mentioned another potential remedy (which I have not tried) which is to use the option to "import from my banking institution" (don't know exactly what it's called). In theory, this will load up all the correct forms (e.g., 1099-B).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies