Mentuhotep

Began as F1 student in 2012, now in 6th year. School says I am a Resident Alien for 2017 tax purposes but ALSO a Dual Status Taxpayer. Am I dual status or RA??

I have always been on F1 visa. I started studying in 08/2012 and in 2017 became a Resident Alien for tax purposes in July (I assume through Substantial Presence). But my school is telling me that I am also a Dual Status Taxpayer as this is the year I became RA.  I thought that the year you turn RA counts for the entire calendar year, and that 6th year students file regular 1040, not dual status.

LinaJ2018

As a F visa holder, you are considered as a nonresident from 2012-2016.  For tax purposes, your US residency starts on January 1st, 2017.  You will be filing a Form 1040 for your 2017 taxes.  You are not a dual-status alien. 

TaxGuyBill

I agree with you.  If you meet the Substantial Presence Test in 2017 (your 6th year on your F-1 visa), you are considered a full-year Resident Alien, not a Dual Status Alien, for tax purposes.
LinaJ2018