turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rseidor

Live in NH, husband works in ME. Should we file ME nonresident income tax as single or married when I work in NH? When filing it seems to take my income into account.

My husband and I live in NH which is a no income tax state.  My husband works in Maine and I work in NH.  We tried filing a ME nonresident income tax after entering our federal return information and it seems to take into account my NH income. When I remove my income from our federal return it says we are owed money from the state of Maine, but if my income is entered on the federal return it says we owe the state of Maine.  I feel like my income shouldn't have any bearing on the nonresident return since I work in NH.  Should my husband file his ME state income tax as single instead of married filing jointly like we did on our federal return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Live in NH, husband works in ME. Should we file ME nonresident income tax as single or married when I work in NH? When filing it seems to take my income into account.

Based on the information in the instruction booklet for the Maine Income Tax Return, you are allowed to use a different filing status on the Maine return from what you used on the Federal return if you are both non-residents of Maine and only one person had income from Maine

As you go through the Maine return, you can choose to change your filing status.  Be aware that changing the filing status so that it is different from your Federal return will require you to mail the Maine tax return.  It will not be eligible for electronic filing. 

For more information you can take a closer look at the instruction booklet for the Maine Income Tax return by clicking here.  The description about how the tax is calculated for non-residents is on page 20.

Will it still be true next year, in 2021, that we will not be able to file electronically if we claim Married for Federal and Single for State?

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@Hatfield82 Yes that will be the case if the laws do not change next year. You can find out more information here: https://www.maine.gov/revenue/faq/individual-income-tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies