turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djb2155

In Box my Form1098-T shows $51,563.50 in Box 2 and $70,597.00 in Box 5. How do i treat the $19,033.50 difference?

In Box my 2017 Form 1098-T shows $51,563.50 in Box 2 and $70,597.00 in Box 5. How do i treat the $19,033.50 difference?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

In Box my Form1098-T shows $51,563.50 in Box 2 and $70,597.00 in Box 5. How do i treat the $19,033.50 difference?

As you go through the entry of your Form 1098-T, TurboTax will ask the questions about your scholarship income that is in excess of your educational expenses. Grants and /or scholarships are taxable income only to the extent that they exceed qualified educational expenses to include tuition, fees, books, and course related materials. 

If your qualified expenses exceeded your grants and scholarships, you have no taxable income.  

IRS: Reporting Scholarships and Fellowship Grants (Publication 970-Tax Benefits For Education)

Whether you must report your scholarship or fellowship grant depends on whether you must file a return and whether any part of your scholarship or fellowship grant is taxable.

If your only income is a completely tax-free scholarship or fellowship grant, you don't have to file a tax return and no reporting is necessary. If all or part of your scholarship or fellowship grant is taxable and you are required to file a tax return, report the taxable amount as explained below. You must report the taxable amount whether or not you received a Form W-2. If you receive an incorrect Form W-2, ask the payer for a corrected one.

There is a great article about how to treat this income. It's detailed, but check the sections that pertain to your specific situation. Click the images to enlarge and view for assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4263828

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

As you go through the entry of your Form 1098-T, TurboTax will ask the questions about your scholarship income that is in excess of your educational expenses. Grants and /or scholarships are taxable income only to the extent that they exceed qualified educational expenses to include tuition, fees, books, and course related materials. 

If your qualified expenses exceeded your grants and scholarships, you have no taxable income.  

IRS: Reporting Scholarships and Fellowship Grants (Publication 970-Tax Benefits For Education)

Whether you must report your scholarship or fellowship grant depends on whether you must file a return and whether any part of your scholarship or fellowship grant is taxable.

If your only income is a completely tax-free scholarship or fellowship grant, you don't have to file a tax return and no reporting is necessary. If all or part of your scholarship or fellowship grant is taxable and you are required to file a tax return, report the taxable amount as explained below. You must report the taxable amount whether or not you received a Form W-2. If you receive an incorrect Form W-2, ask the payer for a corrected one.

There is a great article about how to treat this income. It's detailed, but check the sections that pertain to your specific situation. Click the images to enlarge and view for assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4263828

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies