turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pizza delivery driver

My payroll summary report from jan 1 2017 to dec 31 2017 shows how much in reported tips I earned but also Compensation (delivery fee, I receive $1.50 for each delivery) totaling $12,000 for both. Do I report compensation along with the tips? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Pizza delivery driver

You are required to report all income received from all sources in 2017, on your 2017 tax return.
Anita01

Pizza delivery driver

deleted-see answer
Anita01

Pizza delivery driver

You would not just add them together.  You should receive a W-2 because the company would withhold tax on the pay per delivery and the tips would be in a separate box on the W-2 in Box 12 with a code of A.  This entry indicates the employer did not withhold social security or medicare on your tips and that tax would have to be paid when you file your return.

If you receive a 1099-MISC from the pizza company, you could add them together because you pay social security and medicare on ALL the net profit from your self-employment income.

Don't file until you know if your employer is sending you a W-2 or a 1099-MISC

Pizza delivery driver

I will receive a w2 but even from the last 2 w2s I received there is nothing in box 12 just in boxes 1 thru 6. never received a 1099
Carl
Level 15

Pizza delivery driver

As a pizza delivery driver I don't see why you would receive a 1099-MISC. You're not self-employed, and I doubt very many pizza businesses consider you self-employed. They just include all monies "THEY" pay you, in box 1 of your W-2. If you report your tips to your employer, then they will include those tips in box 1 also.

Pizza delivery driver

what about the delivery fee I receive? It shows comps $5,200 do I count this as tips?
Carl
Level 15

Pizza delivery driver

What is "it" that shows comps? If you're referring to some kind of payroll summary, that's not a tax reporting document. It's a summary and nothing else.

Pizza delivery driver

the  $1.50 delivery fee
Carl
Level 15

Pizza delivery driver

Okay. So still, where are you seeing this $1.50 delivery fee? On what document? Does that document have a form number on it that starts with "IRS", such as "IRS FORM 1099-MISC" or something?

Pizza delivery driver

I guess it's considered commission I receive it in the form of cash at the end of my shift
Anita01

Pizza delivery driver

If your employer is including your tips in Box 1, then they are already withholding social security and medicare tax for you and you won't have to pay that when you file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies