Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hurstp1

Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), food stamps, claim individual receiving these as a dependent on my federal return.

I provide shelter, utilities cost, and transportation for an individual receiving AHCCCS and food stamps. Can I claim this person as a dependent on my federal tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), food stamps, claim individual receiving these as a dependent on my federal return.

For tax purposes, none of that would disqualify you from claiming that person as a dependent.

However, it is possible that if you claim that person as a dependent, it could disqualify that person from some or all of those benefits.

For the Arizona Medicaid (AHCCCS), if the person is your child, it would disqualify that person if you claimed that person as a dependent.  If it isn't your child, it would probably not disqualify that person.

For the Food Stamps, each State has their own rules, so you would need to contact your state agency to find out their rules.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

For tax purposes, none of that would disqualify you from claiming that person as a dependent.

However, it is possible that if you claim that person as a dependent, it could disqualify that person from some or all of those benefits.

For the Arizona Medicaid (AHCCCS), if the person is your child, it would disqualify that person if you claimed that person as a dependent.  If it isn't your child, it would probably not disqualify that person.

For the Food Stamps, each State has their own rules, so you would need to contact your state agency to find out their rules.

hurstp1

Guess we will have to get a final answer, if possible, from AHCCCS but it makes me hopeful that we will probably be okay.

The part about AHCCCS, I am 99.999% sure about.  If they tell you otherwise, come back and I'll show you the legal gibberish.
hurstp1

An AHCCCS spokesperson said that my income would be included with hers and probably disqualify her from AHCCCS assistance.  Show me the legal gibberish if you believe otherwise.

I just want to confirm that this person is NOT your child, right?
hurstp1

That is correct, the person is not my child.

I am worried about losing my AHCCCS health benefits if my mom claims my son. She pays rent and all of the bills but I HAVE TO keep our insurance.

@TaxGuyBill - Is your response still current for 2017? Mom lives (shelter and food provided) with me but received AHCCCS benefits due to lack of income. I don't want her penalized.

Yes, it is still current.

@TaxGuyBill - So, I can claim her on both federal and state or only federal? Could you point me to "the legal gibberish" you mentioned?

I don't know Arizona state rules, but I would assume you can claim her for State as well.

The legal gibberish is on this thread, below.

Here it is.  See also my explanation at the end.

(1)
Basic rule for taxpayers not claimed as a tax dependent. In the case of an individual who expects to file a tax return for the taxable year in which an initial determination or renewal of eligibility is being made, and who does not expect to be claimed as a tax dependent by another taxpayer, the household consists of the taxpayer and, subject to paragraph (f)(5) of this section, all persons whom such individual expects to claim as a tax dependent.

(2) Basic rule for individuals claimed as a tax dependent. In the case of an individual who expects to be claimed as a tax dependent by another taxpayer for the taxable year in which an initial determination or renewal of eligibility is being made, the household is the household of the taxpayer claiming such individual as a tax dependent, except that the household must be determined in accordance with paragraph (f)(3) of this section in the case of
(i) Individuals other than a spouse or a biological, adopted, or step child who expect to be claimed as a tax dependent by another taxpayer;
(ii) Individuals under the age specified by the State under paragraph (f)(3)(iv) of this section who expect to be claimed by one parent as a tax dependent and are living with both parents but whose parents do not expect to file a joint tax return; and
(iii) Individuals under the age specified by the State under paragraph (f)(3)(iv) of this section who expect to be claimed as a tax dependent by a non-custodial parent. For purposes of this section—
(A) A court order or binding separation, divorce, or custody agreement establishing physical custody controls; or
(B) If there is no such order or agreement or in the event of a shared custody agreement, the custodial parent is the parent with whom the child spends most nights.

(3) Rules for individuals who neither file a tax return nor are claimed as a tax dependent. In the case of individuals who do not expect to file a Federal tax return and do not expect to be claimed as a tax dependent for the taxable year in which an initial determination or renewal of eligibility is being made, or who are described in paragraph (f)(2)(i), (f)(2)(ii), or (f)(2)(iii) of this section, the household consists of the individual and, if living with the individual—
(i) The individual's spouse;
(ii) The individual's natural, adopted and step children under the age specified in paragraph (f)(3)(iv) of this section; and
(iii) In the case of individuals under the age specified in paragraph (f)(3)(iv) of this section, the individual's natural, adopted and step parents and natural, adoptive and step siblings under the age specified in paragraph (f)(3)(iv) of this section.
(iv) The age specified in this paragraph is either of the following, as elected by the agency in the State plan—
(A) Age 19; or
(B) Age 19 or, in the case of full-time students, age 21.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/42/435.603#f

So the first bold part say the determination of a dependent is based on the entire Household income, UNLESS that person is NOT a spouse or a child.  In the case of a non-spouse, non-child dependent, you follow the rules in paragraph 3.

Paragraph 3 says the income eligibility is based on the income of that individual alone, unless their spouse and/or children under age 21 live with them, in which case the spouse's and children's income is included.
hurstp1

Legalese is confusing, in the final analysis is the "income of that individual alone" my taxable pension plus investment income or her total income which is zero?

Her total income, which is zero.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies