Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AmyD
Level 2

Are there benefits associated with answering 'yes' to the "was your spouse disabled" question?

I have been unable to work for well over the past year due to physical and mental conditions. So I think I (as the spouse) hit the 2 points about being unable to engage in substantial gainful activity for a condition that has lasted for at least a year. 

My questions are:

1) What benefit does this give, if any? Is there a credit or deduction that would apply? Or is this just asked due to potential for having social security income that needs to be listed (which I don't receive)?

2) Do I need to get an actual doctor letter for this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Are there benefits associated with answering 'yes' to the "was your spouse disabled" question?

The only benefit is if you paid for someone to care for her to enable you to work. 

there may also be credit for being disabled  - Schedule R if all the criteria are met. 

For disabled adults:

There is an extra amount added to your standard deduction if you are legally blind.   Your federal return does not provide any other credits or deductions for saying you are disabled, with one possible exception.  

There is a credit for the Elderly and Disabled which is so small that very few people benefit from it—-it has not been updated/increased by Congress for decades.

ELDERLY OR DISABLED CREDIT https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-qualify-for-the-credit-for-the-elderly-or-disabled

There are some states that provide various credits to elderly/disabled folks, so watch for that when you prepare your state return.   The states that I know of that have anything for elderly/disabled are AZ, CT, DE, IA, MO, ND, NJ, NY, VE.   There may be others.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AmyC
Expert Alumni

1. Benefit- increased deduction. Possibly credit for the disabled and/or  child care credit. Child care credit would not be allowed unless you marked disabled without employment income. See About Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses and About Schedule R (Form 1040), Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled

2. You don't need a doctor's letter to file your return. If the IRS asks for substantiation, then you would need to provide proof.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies