turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tc333
Returning Member

I had schedule C for our home business(not setting up any official entity) in 2017 return. Which line indicates if I had at risk losses carrying over from 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy0H

I had schedule C for our home business(not setting up any official entity) in 2017 return. Which line indicates if I had at risk losses carrying over from 2017?

On line 31 of the Schedule C is the loss. Right below are boxes 32a and b which indicates if all or some of the investment is at risk.

• If you checked 32a (All investment is at risk), enter the loss on both Form 1040, line 12,  and on Schedule SE, line 2. (If you checked the box on line 1, see the line 31 instructions). Estates and trusts, enter on Form 1041, line 3.
  • If you checked 32b (Some investment is not at risk), you must attach Form 6198. Your loss may be limited.

The Schedule C from 2017:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040sc--2017.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Cindy0H

On line 31 of the Schedule C is the loss. Right below are boxes 32a and b which indicates if all or some of the investment is at risk.

• If you checked 32a (All investment is at risk), enter the loss on both Form 1040, line 12,  and on Schedule SE, line 2. (If you checked the box on line 1, see the line 31 instructions). Estates and trusts, enter on Form 1041, line 3.
  • If you checked 32b (Some investment is not at risk), you must attach Form 6198. Your loss may be limited.

The Schedule C from 2017:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040sc--2017.pdf

tc333
Returning Member

Thanks!!! I imported 2017 return to 2018 return.  TT does have some knowledge about my 2017 numbers.  Why  doesn't TT transfer the 2017 at risk number over to 2018 in this case? If it can also provide the needed field line number in the form, it'd be very helpful. Just wonder sometimes TT is very smart, but not always.
tc333
Returning Member

Another question: TT asks about at-risk loss carryovers for the home business.  The above anwered on schedule C carryover number for the business.  It also asks about Schedule D short and long term carryover.  Schedule D is for regular capital gain and loss and is handled in other section of TT.  Why TT asks about Schedule D loss carryover  in the Business Income and Expenses section?  Wouldn't these Schedule D loss carryover numbers be duplicating what's in the Personal Income and Expenses section? Very confused.  Please help!
Cindy0H

I am a tax advisor not a technician, so I am afraid I can't answer that. Sorry.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies