turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AMT depreciation

In my 2017 there is an entry on form 4562 (

Alternative Minimum Tax Depreciation Report) under the column Adjustments/Preferences in the amount of $399. Apparently this has been added to the depreciation amount in my Schedule E.  How is this calculated?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

AMT depreciation

AMT Depreciation Adjustments

If an accelerated depreciation method is used, a taxpayer may be subject to an alternative minimum tax (AMT) depreciation adjustment.

AMT adjustment required

Depreciation must be recomputed for purposes of the AMT for the following property.

• Property placed in service after 1998 that is depreciated for regular tax purposes using the 200DB method, except for qualified property eligible for the special depreciation allowance.

• Section 1250 property placed in service after 1998 that is not depreciated for regular tax using the SL method.

• Tangible property placed in service after 1986 and before 1999.

Please click here for more information. Information about these calculations starts on page 5. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

AMT depreciation

Hi,

I have the same question about how the Adj/Pref value in Form 4562 was calculated.

In  my case, Line 1 in Schedule 2 is $0/empty. Line 11 in Form 6251 is $0. This means I do not own AMT, right?

Why depreciation amount was adjusted then? And when depreciation amount was increased, this will increase the expense and reduce the rental net income. Can not understand the purpose and logic of depreciation adjustment.

Can someone help me here?

By the way, TurboTax Form Mode is not good at tracing back values. And this is not convenient for users to check the result.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies