JAMcCleary6687

American Opportunity Tax Credit

Filling out for a nationalized citizen college student.  She worked very little, paid 34 in taxes.  The American Opportunity Tax Credit says it can be refundable up to a max of 1000 even if did not pay that much into system...but yet turbo tax deluxe 2019 will only create the refund of 34...not option to select anything other that Maximize my Education Tax Break...which selects  a tuition deduction of 4000.  I belive she should be getting more money back than the 34 if I am reading this correctly....

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/college-and-education/take-advantage-of-two-education-tax-credi... 

DavidS127

American Opportunity Tax Credit

For some reason, TurboTax "thinks" the student is not eligible for the American Opportunity Credit (AOTC).  Check your entries for your daughter, to make sure the entries for are correct, especially those related to the qualifications in "Table 2-1. Overview of the American Opportunity Credit for 2019" from IRS Publication 970 at this l....

If you find the Student Information Worksheet for the student ("Student Info Wk" in Forms mode of TurboTax Download/CD), Part III will give the reason TurboTax concluded the student isn't qualified for the AOTC.

JAMcCleary6687

American Opportunity Tax Credit

No, sorry should have mentioned, she qualified for all 3 (AOC, LLC & TFD).   My question is specifically is why would she not qualify for the refundable portion, I look at her taxes from last year that someone else did and it looks like she did get a 1000 dollar refund of it. The only thing I saw, and not in TT but the online govt forms, is something about being 24 at the end of the year.

BillM223

American Opportunity Tax Credit

Were you trying to claim her as your dependent?