turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returning Member

Amendment only with Federal

I have filed my federal taxes and received a refund . Didnt file state yet. This was a paper filing


A month later i received some forms i should have filed originally. 


Now i created an amended return and i will submit to IRS paper filing.


But since i didn't submit the original to the state yet, do i file my original first and then wait for it to be received with IL-1040 and then file IL-1040X?


The packet that turbo tax generated has a IL 1040X and a IL 1040 which has updated numbers. This updated number is asking me to pay money to the state assuming i received a return from the original filing .

4 Replies

Amendment only with Federal

"Didnt file state yet."


You can't amend something that was not submitted.



Returning Member

Amendment only with Federal

How do i get my old form updated with the new amount then?

The new form turbo is generated has new income . 

Amendment only with Federal

Whenever you amend you lose the original copy.  That is why you must backup your return before amending.  There is no practical dway now to get back your original return.  You might have to get the state forms from your state's website and complete them manually.

Amendment only with Federal

your TurboTax state of IL  amendment can be cancelled

your -X form can be deleted ( or ignored)

your state tax return must be filed on paper because you did not e-File Federal Form 1040.

you want to submit a correct state tax return on Form IL-1040.

" [I have]  ... a IL 1040 which has updated numbers."

when the updated numbers are correct, you are ready to file,

If not, continue with revisions until correct.



message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies