Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending a nonfiler form. How does it apply to 1040X?

Filed nonfiler for 2019, however I now realize I need to amend my return due to needing to claim my child via paper (ex-husband wrongly claimed child on his taxes prior to me filing mine).

Everything I have found about filing the 1040X relates to someone who filed 1040(or similar). Because I didn't file those forms, is the 1040X still the correct form? Has anyone gone through this before? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you filed a "non-filer" form, then any tax return you want to file now is technically an amended return.  However, in this case you don't file a 1040X.  You file a regular 1040 (on paper, print and mail in) and write "Amended EIP Return" at the top.  

When you filed a non filer RETURN you DID file a tax  return on the form 1040 even if you didn't save a PDF of the return or realized what you did... this was the only way to efile one and get it thru the IRS system which is why the 1040 you are trying to file now gets rejected.   Only ONE return can be efile per year so now you must file an amended return ... however for this situation you do not use the 1040X.   Instead the IRS put out instructions to use the 1040 form with a note on the front page.  It must be printed, ink signed and mailed in as directed.  And expect this to take 4 to 6 months (possibly more) to process due to the backlog the IRS has at all processing centers. 

If you used the IRS non-filer site to get a stimulus check, you will now get a  “duplicate SSN” rejection.  We are seeing people who did not notice or ignored the warning on that site about using it if they would be filing a tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks ***after filing for it to show up:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

***Due to the earlier covid shutdown the IRS is playing catch up on the 11 million + envelopes that piled up at the same time new mail is arriving ... processing times for anything mailed in this year is 4 to 6 months and all you can do is wait and check the IRS site once a week until you see it in the system.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies