Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

spaldsc

How can I complete my employed, under 18 yo, child's W2 that will not allow $0 under SS and Medicare withholdings?

TT will not allow me to create a W2 for my children that I employed under my LLC with $0 listed under SS and Medicare withholdings, despite their exempt status based on age and income less than $600.00 for the year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

How can I complete my employed, under 18 yo, child's W2 that will not allow $0 under SS and Medicare withholdings?

If your LLC is owned by you and your spouse and your child is under 18, you do not need to withhold FICA taxes (Social security and Medicare).

To create the W-2 without FICA withholding, uncheck the check mark next to "Uncheck to disable auto-calculate" as by default this is checked. You enter 0 as Social Security wages and 0 as Medicare wages.  You can then enter 0 for both Social security and Medicare withholdings and the program will accept it.

Edited 01.11.18 | 4:00 PM
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Did they do bonafide work for the LLC?

The wages for the services of a child are subject to income tax withholding as well as social security, Medicare, and FUTA taxes if he or she works for a corporation, even if it is controlled by the child's parent.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Are you filling out the W-2 in TurboTax Business or using Quick Employer Forms (QEF) in TT Home & Biz?

Is your LLC taxed as an S Corp?
spaldsc

Yes, they do bonafide and documented work for the LLC.  I am filling out the W-2 forms in Quick Employer Forms - this is the link from TT Home and Biz.  My LLC is not an S Corp, partnership with my wife as sole owners of the LLC.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If your LLC is owned by you and your spouse and your child is under 18, you do not need to withhold FICA taxes (Social security and Medicare).

To create the W-2 without FICA withholding, uncheck the check mark next to "Uncheck to disable auto-calculate" as by default this is checked. You enter 0 as Social Security wages and 0 as Medicare wages.  You can then enter 0 for both Social security and Medicare withholdings and the program will accept it.

Edited 01.11.18 | 4:00 PM

OP hired his own children.  If your child is under 18, you don’t have to withhold or pay any FICA (Social Security or Medicare) tax on the salary, subject to a couple of exceptions
. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/why-its-tax-smart-hire-your-children.html">https://www.nolo....>

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/family-help">https://www.irs.gov/busin...>
But OP has not indicated if the LLC is an S Corp.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Please see my edited answer on how to create the W-2 in TurboTax.

Also note that the Partnership return Form 1065 requires the use of TT Business (not Home and Business).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies