Alabama form 40 and 40NR required by Alabama speci...

smiley2021

Alabama form 40 and 40NR required by Alabama special rules???

Turbo Tax is saying I need both forms but it is not supported by Turbo Tax.

We lived in Georgia from 1/2019 - 3/2019 and moved to Alabama in 4/2019.   My wife worked in Alabama all of 2019 and I worked in Georgia all of 2019.   So do we really need to file but both a Form 40 and 40NR?  

SusanY1

Yes, since you were a part-year resident and you also had income from Alabama sources while a non-resident during the same tax year.

In your case, if I understand correctly you were a part-year resident but your wife had Alabama income during the period of non-residence (January - March) which requires you to use both forms according to Alabama's instructions.

The instructions are here: Alabama Form 40NR Booklet for reference (this issue is addressed at the top of the middle column on page 5.)

smiley2021

Thanks.   So I wasted my money on Turbo Tax since they don't support this, right?   Is this something a person can do on their on?  Or do I need to go to a tax place?