return_seeker

After applying for spouse ITIN, can I e-file? Waiting for the paper filing to process will take too long

My spouse is NRA. We are filing together this year, and we have applied for his ITIN number. My understanding is that once he gets his ITIN, the IRS will process the paper return in 4-8 weeks (on top of the 9-11 weeks they estimate the ITIN application will take). Is it possible to e-file once we get his ITIN number? What happens to the paper return in that case?

LeonardS

Yes, once you receive your spouse's ITIN you may e-file your tax return.  This will definitely faster than filing a paper return

return_seeker

But in order to apply for ITIN number, we had to file on paper. What will happen to that paper application if we e-file?