Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Adjust my w4

I file single. My income is 30k. I reside in Wash. DC, but I work in Maryland. I currently have 1 Federal allowance and no withholdings.  My 2021 combined refund was $3100. I want to reduce my refund and get this money on my paycheck, without owing taxes. How should I adjust my w4 and/or withholdings? Thanks

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Adjust my w4

Hi Figbar,

Allowances can be excludable and makes sense in your particular case. To pay your fair share of taxes and no more, Complete Step 1 and Step 5 of the W-4. Step 4 allows you to increase the $$$ amount taken from your check each pay period. Single filers should always consider before tax contributions such as 401K, 403B, Flexible spending accounts, and 125 Cafeteria plans when available.


Good Luck to you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings