turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Additional Income and Adjustments to Income ~ why is the amount in line 22 being put in Line 6 of the 1040 without the subsequent adjustments?

I have Turbotax home and business.  I am pretty much done, but on review, have some questions.

On Schedule 1 (form 1040) I have additional business income, taxable refunds and a capital gain reported.  The total of those three amounts shows on line 22.

Line 22 directions say: Combine the amounts in the columns (done). If you don't have any adjustments to income, enter here and include on form 1040, line 6.  Otherwise, go to line 23.

I had adjustments to the income and those are noted on the adjustments to income section.  I don't see where that total is reflected anywhere on Form 1040.  

I would have expected that line 6 on the 1040 would have been the result of the income less the adjustments.  It is just showing the income.

Help :).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Additional Income and Adjustments to Income ~ why is the amount in line 22 being put in Line 6 of the 1040 without the subsequent adjustments?

The income after adjustments is on line 7 of form 1040. The adjustments on line 36 of Schedule 1 are subtracted from line 6 of form 1040 to arrive at line 7. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The income after adjustments is on line 7 of form 1040. The adjustments on line 36 of Schedule 1 are subtracted from line 6 of form 1040 to arrive at line 7. 

Got it.  The directions didn't make sense to me and since it showed the amount from the additional payments I expected it to also show the amount of the additional adjustments.  Thanks.

The new form 1040 seems really complicated to me. The IRS was required by congress to get everything on 2 half pages and in my opinion it made a mess of the form.

I totally agree!!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies