turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

user87547

Where do i enter self employed health insurance deduction

I'm self-employed and have entered the info about my business and TurboTax has created a Schedule C.  But I've never been prompted to enter my health insurance premiums (which I understand should be 100% deductible).  I make too much money to qualify for any ACA assistance plans.
I have a high-deductible (HSA-qualified) plan, and I put money into an HSA plan.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Self-employed health insurance is entered with your business income and expenses.

You will need to edit the information for the self-employed business to enter the self-employed health insurance deduction amount.  Use the following steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)

• This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c

• Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

• Click Edit beside your business name

• Scroll to the Business Expenses section and click Update beside Other Common Business Expenses

• Scroll down and click Update beside the Insurance Payments section

• Click Update (or Start) beside Health Insurance Premiums

You will also need to visit the section for Health Savings Accounts (HSA) to record your contributions to your HSA.  Use the following steps to go to that section:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)

• This opens a box where you can type in “hsa” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to hsa

• Click on the blue “Jump to hsa” link and enter your information

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Self-employed health insurance is entered with your business income and expenses.

You will need to edit the information for the self-employed business to enter the self-employed health insurance deduction amount.  Use the following steps:

• This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c

• Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

• Click Edit beside your business name

• Scroll to the Business Expenses section and click Update beside Other Common Business Expenses

• Scroll down and click Update beside the Insurance Payments section

• Click Update (or Start) beside Health Insurance Premiums

You will also need to visit the section for Health Savings Accounts (HSA) to record your contributions to your HSA.  Use the following steps to go to that section:

• This opens a box where you can type in “hsa” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to hsa

• Click on the blue “Jump to hsa” link and enter your information

andreeank
Returning Member

Actually per IRS guidelines the deduction goes on 1040:

"Line 14
Deduct contributions to employee benefit programs. Do not include on line 14 any contributions you made on your behalf as a self-employed person to an accident and health plan. However, you may be able
to deduct on Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 29, or Form 1040NR, line 29, the amount you paid for health insurance on behalf of yourself, your spouse, and dependents, even if you do not itemize your deductions."

For more instruction on how to enter the deduction if you received a 1095 A pleas see this article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3622698-deducting-health-insurance-costs-while-self-employed

You have posted on a 2 year old post.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies