Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keren-1994

Active Duty Pay

I was on ADOS orders in the MN National Guard for over 90 days consecutively. Do I choose that these wages were active military pay or no? I did the rest of the year as just regular National Guard  Reserve Pay?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB
Intuit Alumni

Active Duty Pay

Yes, if you were on active duty orders these wages would be considered active military pay.

If you are a military member and a Minnesota resident, you may subtract federally taxable active-duty military pay when determining your Minnesota tax.

You may claim this subtraction if any of the following apply:

• You serve in the Minnesota National Guard and Reserves, and you receive federally taxable active-duty pay for services or compensation for training and meetings under U.S. Code, titles 10 and 32. Examples include:
    • Active Duty Special Work (ADSW) or Active Duty Operational Support (ADOS)
    • Natural disaster emergency response, missing persons searches, and airport security duty
    • Re-enlistment bonuses
    • National Guard and Reserves duties, annual training, and drill weekends, including training and meetings inside or outside of Minnesota
    • Compensation for serving while assigned to Active Guard Reserves (AGR) under U.S. Code, title 32

Please see MN Military Pay Subtraction for detailed information.

[Edit 2/11/2019 2:04pm]

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanaB
Intuit Alumni

Active Duty Pay

Yes, if you were on active duty orders these wages would be considered active military pay.

If you are a military member and a Minnesota resident, you may subtract federally taxable active-duty military pay when determining your Minnesota tax.

You may claim this subtraction if any of the following apply:

• You serve in the Minnesota National Guard and Reserves, and you receive federally taxable active-duty pay for services or compensation for training and meetings under U.S. Code, titles 10 and 32. Examples include:
    • Active Duty Special Work (ADSW) or Active Duty Operational Support (ADOS)
    • Natural disaster emergency response, missing persons searches, and airport security duty
    • Re-enlistment bonuses
    • National Guard and Reserves duties, annual training, and drill weekends, including training and meetings inside or outside of Minnesota
    • Compensation for serving while assigned to Active Guard Reserves (AGR) under U.S. Code, title 32

Please see MN Military Pay Subtraction for detailed information.

[Edit 2/11/2019 2:04pm]

keren-1994

Active Duty Pay

So even though not all the wages were active duty I still put active duty wages correct? And when I file my state taxes under the National Guard Reserve wages do I put an amount there too because I did have reserve wages in my W2 or do I just leave it blank at that point?
DanaB
Intuit Alumni

Active Duty Pay

Yes, please, see my edit above for state taxes.
keren-1994

Active Duty Pay

Thanks!

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.61m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v