turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Active Duty Pay

I was on ADOS orders in the MN National Guard for over 90 days consecutively. Do I choose that these wages were active military pay or no? I did the rest of the year as just regular National Guard  Reserve Pay?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB
Expert Alumni

Active Duty Pay

Yes, if you were on active duty orders these wages would be considered active military pay.

If you are a military member and a Minnesota resident, you may subtract federally taxable active-duty military pay when determining your Minnesota tax.

You may claim this subtraction if any of the following apply:

• You serve in the Minnesota National Guard and Reserves, and you receive federally taxable active-duty pay for services or compensation for training and meetings under U.S. Code, titles 10 and 32. Examples include:
    • Active Duty Special Work (ADSW) or Active Duty Operational Support (ADOS)
    • Natural disaster emergency response, missing persons searches, and airport security duty
    • Re-enlistment bonuses
    • National Guard and Reserves duties, annual training, and drill weekends, including training and meetings inside or outside of Minnesota
    • Compensation for serving while assigned to Active Guard Reserves (AGR) under U.S. Code, title 32

Please see MN Military Pay Subtraction for detailed information.

[Edit 2/11/2019 2:04pm]

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanaB
Expert Alumni

Active Duty Pay

Yes, if you were on active duty orders these wages would be considered active military pay.

If you are a military member and a Minnesota resident, you may subtract federally taxable active-duty military pay when determining your Minnesota tax.

You may claim this subtraction if any of the following apply:

• You serve in the Minnesota National Guard and Reserves, and you receive federally taxable active-duty pay for services or compensation for training and meetings under U.S. Code, titles 10 and 32. Examples include:
    • Active Duty Special Work (ADSW) or Active Duty Operational Support (ADOS)
    • Natural disaster emergency response, missing persons searches, and airport security duty
    • Re-enlistment bonuses
    • National Guard and Reserves duties, annual training, and drill weekends, including training and meetings inside or outside of Minnesota
    • Compensation for serving while assigned to Active Guard Reserves (AGR) under U.S. Code, title 32

Please see MN Military Pay Subtraction for detailed information.

[Edit 2/11/2019 2:04pm]

Active Duty Pay

So even though not all the wages were active duty I still put active duty wages correct? And when I file my state taxes under the National Guard Reserve wages do I put an amount there too because I did have reserve wages in my W2 or do I just leave it blank at that point?
DanaB
Expert Alumni

Active Duty Pay

Yes, please, see my edit above for state taxes.

Active Duty Pay

Thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies