turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accrued market discount should not be 0. Enter amount disallowed under wash sale rules, or leave blank if entire loss is disallowed. The site won't allow to leave blank.

I remove 0 and submit and it kicks me back to the same page telling me It cannot be 0
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

45 Replies
mstew46

Accrued market discount should not be 0. Enter amount disallowed under wash sale rules, or leave blank if entire loss is disallowed. The site won't allow to leave blank.

I'm having the same problem. I have tried typing in the wash sale loss amount and it will not accept it. I have tried leaving it at 0 and it still won't accept it. This is the only thing keeping me from filing now. And I don't know how to fix it...

stephj16

I am having the same problem with my return. Everything looks good but the system won't let me file my return because of the dang Accrued Market Discount (not applicable according to my 1099 forms) and the wash sale rule (which I already entered correctly). Hoping that someone can help because this is the only thing we're waiting on!

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If you would be willing to share a diagnostic copy of your tax file, it could be helpful to examine the situation in more detail.  

To do so, follow the instructions below and post the token number along with which version of TurboTax you are using in a follow-up thread.

Use these steps if you are using TurboTax Online:

• Sign in to your account and be sure you are in your tax return.
  • Select Tax Tools in the menu to the left.
  • Select Tools.
  • Select Share my file with agent.
  • A pop-up message will appear, select OK to send the sanitized diagnostic copy to us.
  • Post the token number here. 

If you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, use these steps:

• Select Online at the top of the screen
  • Select Send Tax File to Agent.
  • Click OK.
  • Post the token number here.

@tapontikes

@mstew46

@stephj16

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi same issue--this seems like a bug, and is preventing me from 1) paying TurboTax and 2) filing and getting a refund. I've submitted my file as a diagnostic as well. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

This is currently being looked into. 

Please monitor this thread for new information to be updated. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you--it's odd. TurboTax correctly serves up this as something to fix. But then it doesn't allow a user to input the correct value. 

Same problem error, blank, $0 or $1 doesn't fix the problem. Cents are not allowed. TT has a bug because it rounds up to the nearest numbers, and in some cases, it does create a small discrepancy, which throws TT into an endless loop.

CyberM

Alright, I'm able to found the solution on my own.

First do the smart check and see how many errors you get. You'll have to fix them all one by one.

Go to Personal Income - Walk me through everything - Stocks, Mutual Funds etc section and click update.

Click Edit next to your Brokers name - continue - then click edit on one of the transaction your are getting the error on - click continue on the next page and delete the amount on Box 1g - Done - Continue - check the box "Any loss from this sale is disallowed due to wash sale rules" - Continue - Done - Done - Run Smart Check and uncheck the box "Sale includes a disallowed wash sale loss" and you are done.

Do this for all errors. 

Hopefully this helps....

I had $0.48 in box 1g for 1 transaction, and indeed, it seems to be what was throwing TT into an endless loop. I yanked the amount (essentially rounding it to the nearest $, i.e. $0), and it worked. Thanks.

Thank you for sharing that. Did you delete it from the 1099-B worksheet OR from your Income section? 

Hi Carissa,

Do you have a status update on this bug? Do you think it will be fixed soon?

Thanks!

The error messaging you are seeing with regard to the wash sale entries is a result of automatic rounding of the number imported from your broker or typed in by you.  If the wash sale adjustment is $0.49 or less, then it is automatically rounded to zero.  This type of rounding is allowed by the IRS.  Unfortunately, zero is not a valid value for this field -- thus the error message.

To resolve the issue, you can edit each individual transaction and delete the amount entered in the wash sale adjustment if it is $0.49 or less.  This will clear the error message.  

To do this, you will need to revisit the input section for the Form 1099-B transactions.  Use the following steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-B” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-B
  • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-B” link
  • Click Edit beside the institution name
  • Click Edit beside each transaction that contains a wash sale adjustment amount of $0.49 or less
  • Delete the wash sale adjustment amount and click Done

Answer from AnnetteB6

kh142

Hi - I tried the above - took a few times but it worked - thank you!

Shodo1

I am using the mobile app and I'm trying input a disallowed washsale of 2.73 but am unable to so.  The error message reappears everytime.  This is the only thing keeping me from e-filing.  I'd rather not have to file my mail.  If I had known this would happen I would not have paid for the service.  As  it stands I feel  I have been wrongfully charged for services not rendered.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies