jillocain

A person filed their tax return using 2 of my dependents as their dependent. What do I do

A former boyfriend over 3 years ago is using my disabled daughter and her son as dependents on his tax return when we are supporting them.  I found out when I tried to electronically file the return.  How do I get this corrected?

Someone else claimed my dependent and my return was rejected

If someone else claimed your dependent already, then your e-filed return will be rejected.  Print, sign and mail your own return which claims your dependent.  Mailed returns are processed differently by the IRS.  It will take some time (maybe even up to a year) but eventually the IRS will contact both parties and sort out who could rightfully claim the dependent.  The person who wrongfully claimed the dependent will face repayment of refund $, plus penalties.