turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

740NPR

I keep getting the following message when I finish my Kentucky State 740NPR

Information worksheet: Cuation - You have selected Nonresident reciprocal state tax return as your main form. You must complete the Form 740NPR for either yourself or your spouse

This is after I have completed the Kentucky form and am running the check on it.  This is preventing me from filing the Kentucky form

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

740NPR

You didn't mention the other, if any, states that are involved in your tax filings. If you were a nonresident or part-year resident and you lived in a state that has a reciprocal agreement with Kentucky you must file form 740-NP-R.  The states with reciprocal agreements are:  Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin. 

If you lived in one of these reciprocal states for some of the year, be sure the correct states of residence/employment are indicated in Federal "My Info". Then go back to the Kentucky interview and in the residency area select the "Nonresident form 740NP- R" vice Nonresident 740NP form.

If you or spouse were a nonresident or part-year resident of KY but not in a reciprocal state, you would file form 740-NP.  Be sure to verify in the Kentucky interview that the "Nonresident Form 740NP" is selected. 

If you are a resident of KY you should file the form 740. Go back to Federal "My Info" and check residence information to show you and spouse lived and worked only in KY.  Be sure to also check the Kentucky interview to select the "Resident" form.

Here is a link with more information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

740NPR

@DMarkM1  I live in Illinois 

I have Illinois as my residence and 

under other states I have made an income in I put kentucky under My Info, is this wrong?

If all that is right, it is giving me an error... my Illinois Return was completed and had no errors and has already been filed

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

740NPR

Illinois is fine.  If the Kentucky income is from wages earned in Kentucky, did Kentucky withhold any taxes on any W2s?  If not, you do not need to file in KY due to the reciprocal agreement between the states. 

If KY withheld taxes then you want to file there to get those payments refunded to you.  Also, if KY withheld taxes I recommend going to your employer and completing a new form K-4 to have KY stop withholding so that you don't have to file there anymore. 

For this year, though, in your Kentucky interview you will need to get to the residence question and select the Nonresident Reciprocal 740NP-R. 

1.  Select "State" from the left hand menu 

2.  Select "Prepare State" at top of page and "Continue"

3.  "Continue" Kentucky

4.  "Update"  General information

5   "Select a different residency"

6.  Indicate "nonresident reciprocal state (form 740NPR) 

7.  Continue with interview

LDalto

740NPR

I have done all of the steps you listed above - selected form 740 NP-R, but like the original posted advised, it is still telling me that I need to fill out the form.  When I try to print out my KY tax forms it says "Your Kentucky state tax return (Form 740 NP-R) shows you are due a refund of $0.00" (which is what my refund from KY is every year. But when I go to file TurboTax is telling me I need to fill out the 740 NP-R.  I SELECTED that form, it should be filled out, but it is not being filled out by TurboTax.  Glad to see I am not the only one who it will not complete this form for.  ANY help is greatly appreciated!

LDalto

740NPR

Did you ever figure out how to get TurboTax to complete your 740 NP-R?  It is giving me the same message even though all of the correct information has been input.

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

740NPR

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489

Submit your question/problem during business hours and then use the option for Call (a phone number will be provided for Call) to speak directly with a TurboTax agent -

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies