Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401K funds rollover from previous employer to new employer

Hello,

My wife rolled over her 401K funds from her previous employer (401K plan) to new employer(401K plan) last year. We received 1099-R for this and the form shows taxable amount as $0. Also, box 7 has a distribution code of G. When I enter this information in my TurboTax, it adds all the funds(gross distribution) towards my 2022 AGI. Due to this, I get a message saying my income is too high to contribute towards Roth IRA for 2022.  I already contributed $12,000 ($6000 each) to our Roth IRAs so I need to pay $720 penalty. In reality, my AGI for 2022 is well below Roth IRA contribution limit. Can anyone please help me understand why gross distribution in 1099-R is added towards my income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Check your entry, it should not be included in your adjusted gross income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi MaryK4,

Thank you for your response. Appreciate it. I double checked 1099-R info that I entered in my TurboTax. Everything looks correct. I am not able to figure out why this amount is added towards AGI. 

Sorry my bad. Please ignore. This rollover amount shows up under income column, however it is not counted towards my AGI. In fact our AGI from our W2s for the first time went above Roth IRA income limits. I guess good problem to have 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies