anders003

23 year old daughter

Hey so my daughter never found a job after college.  I pay for everything.  She got a job as a cashier in november of 2020 but only made 1500 with 34 bucks withheld in fed tax.  I thought I could claim her so i told her to file a return and get the 34 bucks back.  She also got stimulous money.  So now Im learning I could've claimed her ....not really understanding that I guess its as another dependent and not a child. But what is the benefit in dollars to me?  I'm already HOH with my other kids. Theres no more personal exemptions so what is the dollar impact on me?  Shoud I have her amend ??/  Thanks to anyone who answes!

Bsch4477

23 year old daughter

The main issue is that if you can claim her, even if you don’t, she must on her return say that someone else can claim her. By failing to do that she filed an inaccurate if not fraudulent return. So she should amend. 

szie21707

23 year old daughter

You should have claimed her and her education costs. 

She will need to file an amended tax return to change her status from independent to a dependent.

Once her amended return is processed/finalized (4months), then you can file your amended tax return to claim her & her out-of-pocket education costs (will take about 4months to process).