fanboy

21 year old dependent full time college student earned $2,832

Does my daughter need to file her own income taxes for earning $2,832.  Based on the page link below, she does not need to file?  But if she doesn't file, what about the $151 Federal withheld and what about the $176 paid towards her future social security?

Daughter went to college full time in 2019, and I will be claiming her as a dependent living with us parents all year in 2019.   I don't add her income to the parents' income, so just curious...

I found this page that I think answers my questions, but I will appreciate confirming or additional input.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/should-i-include-a-dependents-income-on-my-tax-return/L6...

Thank you!

Frank

Carl

The only reason for her to file a tax return, would be to get any withheld taxes refunded. Understand that social security (box 4 of the W-2) and Medicare (box 6) are never refunded. Only the amount shown in box 2 will be refunded. But to get it, she has to file.

If the $2,832 is the only income she has received and is all earned income reported on the W-2 then she does not have to file a tax return.  If she does not file then the US government gets to keep the federal income taxes that were withheld from her wages, free money for them.  The Social Security taxes that were withheld from her wages will be credited to her Social Security account, regardless if she files a tax return or not.

If she does file a tax return to get a refund of the federal taxes withheld, make double sure that on her tax return she indicates that she can be claimed as a dependent.

Carl

fanboy

Thanks so much Carl!