turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2023 federal return rejected with error message an xml document that represents a binary attachment... filed 3/23/24

2023 Federal return (and State of Ohio) were rejected with error message 

"an XML document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file."

Have seen similar posts that said was supposed to be fixed by Turbox tax by now but it is

not!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

2023 federal return rejected with error message an xml document that represents a binary attachment... filed 3/23/24

Have you tried to file again? Are you still getting this reject error?

Try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies if you are using TurboTax Online, and reopen TurboTax.  You can also try a different browser.

Also, make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Have re-submitted and checked for updates and re-submitted.  Still getting same error.  I am an accountant and have reached out to others also using Turbotax and many people are getting this error message.  This is something Turbotax needs to fix.  Have seen possible fix updates on March 29.  Is this correct?  Is anyone at turbotax working on this very common problem??

ALSO having this problem. which is disastrous if you're trying to file.

Is there a fix scheduled?

Having the same problem. seems to be related to form 7206. Called TT help the were of no help 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you are getting reject R0000-058-01:

The development team has given us an update with regard to customers who are receiving the Reject Code R0000-058-01 when trying to electronically file your return.  The resolution to this situation is taking longer than expected and it may not be resolved before the tax filing deadline. 

For reference, this information is from the IRS Instructions for Form 7206

Generally, you can use the worksheet in the Form 1040 instructions to figure your deduction. However, if any of the following apply, you must use Form 7206.

• You had more than one source of income subject to self-employment tax.
  • You file Form 2555.
  • You are using amounts paid for qualified long-term care insurance to figure the deduction.

In order to proceed and get your return filed in a timely manner, please follow this advice:

1 - If you are required to include Form 7206 as a part of your tax return based on the information above, then you need to print and mail your return.  Electronic filing will not be an option if the reject code persists. 

2 - If you are not required to include Form 7206 as part of your tax return, then you can attempt to delete the Form 7206 and try electronically filing your return once again.  If the form cannot be deleted or you still get the reject code, then you need to print and mail your return. 

Use the steps in the following TurboTax help articles to delete Form 7206:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

How do I delete a tax form in TurboTax Desktop (Windows or Mac)?

Tzhou98
Returning Member

I just encountered the exact same issue.  As of 3/30/24.  Are you going to print and mail the returns as instructed?

Looking at Form 7206 on my returns, it says "Self Employed Health Insurance Deduction". This is absolutely not optional for me. What I hear you saying, is that I must print and mail my returns now. Really? Did I understand that correctly?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

The development team has given us an update concerning customers who are receiving the Reject Code R0000-058-01 when trying to electronically file your return. The resolution to this situation is taking longer than expected and it may not be resolved before the tax filing deadline. For reference, this information is from the IRS Instructions for Form 7206:

Generally, you can use the worksheet in the Form 1040 instructions to figure your deduction. However, if any of the following apply, you must use Form 7206.

• You had more than one source of income subject to self-employment tax.
  • You file Form 2555.
  • You are using amounts paid for qualified long-term care insurance to figure the deduction.

To proceed and get your return filed in a timely manner, please follow this advice:

1 - If you are required to include Form 7206 as a part of your tax return based on the information above, then you need to print and mail your return. Electronic filing will not be an option if the reject code persists.

2 - If you are not required to include Form 7206 as part of your tax return, then you can attempt to delete the Form 7206 and try electronically filing your return once again. If the form cannot be deleted or you still get the reject code, then you need to print and mail your return.

Use the steps in the following TurboTax help articles to delete Form 7206:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online? 

How do I delete a tax form in TurboTax Desktop (Windows or Mac)?  @joglidden

@Cynthiad66, thank you for the honest response. I tried filing again, this time without attempting to file the State, which will be automatically rejected upon Federal rejection. I am confident that it will be rejected again. In which case, I will mail in my return, as you suggested.

This is a a VERY sad development for Intuit Turbotax, which appears to be an otherwise good product, and it has truly helped me put my overall return together (which I had to do because my accountant died unexpectedly last year). I truly wish the best for Intuit, and I hope they get all their software and server software issues resolved next year. I will probably give you another chance next year, because like I said, my overall experience has been positive.

Again, thank you for at least giving me enough time to get it printed out and sent in by priority mail, so that I can meet the filing deadline.

@Cynthiad66 
@CatinaT1

Each time I try to delete Form 7206, it puts it right back in there.

This issue has been know to Turbo Tax since at least end of January from my Google searches. It is truly unacceptable to not have a fix by now and instead ask us to file by mail.

Will I get a refund for the $25 I spent to efile my state return which I can no longer do?

Step up your game TT

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is a link: How do I request a refund for my TurboTax product?

Tzhou98
Returning Member

In my situation, I purchased health insurance (medical) through state marketplace and a separate dental insurance through my dental care provider. At the end I chose not to deduct the dental premium then form 7206 disappeared and efile eventually went through at the fifth attempt.  

Thanks for the info. I don't see anyway to get the form removed because Turbo Tax has removed the old self employed heath insurance deduction worksheet and replaced it with the 7206. Were you able to still get the health insurance deduction despite not having the 7206 in there? I don't see a way to make it disappear unfortunately.

Thank you for the link @CatinaT1. Will Turbo Tax reimburse me for mailing costs including needing to mail by certified mail with return receipt to ensure proof of mailing? Going to cost at least $15 to $20 to mail both Federal and State returns because Turbo Tax failed. Where would I request these reimbursement?

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies