turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jaramd

2022 Overpayment applied to estimated taxes for 2023 - new user of TurboTax Live Premium

This method of Turbotax seems to be different from Turbotax Personal using Home and Business...

This is my first year using TT. The instruction regarding estimated federal tax payments made in 2023 says "Don't enter 2022 overpayment applied to this year's return."

How then does the 2022 overpayment that was applied to my 2023 taxes get inputted?   I have worked with for TurboTax Experts via both LiveChat and CallBack and no one could answer the question.  They wanted me to try to enter this as an "estimated payment" of my Federal Taxes but then were flummoxed as to what date to use; and I am concerned that if this "overpayment" is inappropriately entered as an "estimated payment" it may flag my return... 

Help and thanks in advance....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

2022 Overpayment applied to estimated taxes for 2023 - new user of TurboTax Live Premium

Should be straight forward.  I think you were close.

To enter last year's refund you applied to this year.

Federal (Personal for Home & Business)

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Revisit

Next page scroll down to 2022 Refund Applied to 2023

Click Start or Update by the tax you applied

jaramd

Thanks for the try, but TurboTax Live Premium menus and selections are:

Federal 

Deductions and Credits

*** it does not have Estimates and Other Taxes Paid, it has "Other Credits" with no option to enter overpayment 

*** it also has Estimates and Other Taxes Paid.. with no option to enter overpayment

I am wondering if this is a "glitch in the software" for TurboTax Live Premium??

Thanks again,

60Hudson

I was struggling with this also, but I found it!

On the "Deductions and Credits" page, you have to hit the button that says "other exemptions", then there will be a ton of dropdowns including "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid" and then you hit "Income Taxes" and the page it takes you to has a subsection for overpayment from 2022!

🙂 

Chip14

Thanks for this, but I don't see a button that says "other exemptions"  Is it somewhere unusual on the page?  Are you on live premium?  Anybody else see this button?  Thanks for helping!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies