turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 Illinois Schedule CR, Step 6 on Line 51 seems to be incorrect amount

I work in Missouri and live in Illinois.  All my income is from Missouri.  I would expect that the Credit on 2019 Illinois Schedule CR, Step 6 on Line 51 to reflect the taxes paid to Missouri, as reflected on line 32 of my MO-1040 form, i.e. Total Missouri Tax as it did on the 2018 Illinois Schedule CR.  It does not.  There seems to be a problem with the 2019 Illinois Schedule CR and its ability to properly transfer this amount from the Missouri Tax form.  Anyone else notice this?  This issue, as described above, occurs on both the Online Tax form and the installed Deluxe TurboTax software.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Additional information.  I noticed that Missouri is phasing out the Federal Tax Deduction.  As a result, the taxes have increased in Missouri.  One possible explanation for the issue that I am observing on the Illinois Schedule CR could relate to this change in Missouri.  For example, the lower amount that is populated on the Illinois Schedule CR seems to correlate to the amount of taxes that "would have been calculated" had this Federal Tax Deduction change had not occurred.  It seems as if the Illinois Schedule CR form is not simply pulling information from a specific box on the Missouri form but rather doing some calculation of Missouri taxes based on the pre-2019 rules related to the Federal Tax Deduction on the Missouri Tax form.

DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

According to the instructions, the credit in line 51 is calculated like this:  MO1040, Line 31 Minus Lines 29 (You/Spouse), 37, and 38. Do you have any entries in those lines?

Publication 111

How do I figure the amount of other states’ taxes to enter in Step 6 for tax years 2009 and after? Follow the Schedule CR Instructions. If you need further guidance, see the “Comparison Formulas for Schedule CR” found on our website for a list of formulas that identify the tax forms, line numbers, additions, and subtractions that you must use to compute the other states’ tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies