turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jk11
Level 1

2019 Desktop Software Error Code 606 when I try to open the software. How to fix this and open my software?

I had same issue and the Repair workaround didn't work for me.  I check my Event Viewer and found that there was an error for TurboTax Installer related to my Bitdefender.  See below.  I when and turn off "Protection Shield" from Bitdefender and ran Repair again and it worked with it turned off.

Faulting application name: IntuitUpdater.exe, version: 4.5.1.0, time stamp: 0x57c9174e
Faulting module name: atcuf32.dll, version: 1.28.224.0, time stamp: 0x5dd55e2c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00002d8e
Faulting process id: 0x1e70
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5c298d07cd36f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service v4\IntuitUpdater.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Bitdefender Antivirus Free\atcuf\[phone number removed]237446\atcuf32.dll
Report Id: 15798b26-a9e2-42a6-a667-19b428a535be
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

2019 Desktop Software Error Code 606 when I try to open the software. How to fix this and open my software?

@jk11 

I do run Bitdefender on all of my machines so you are on to something for sure. Odd that I disabled BT completely and it did not fix the issue and when I finally used the "repair" option I did it on both machines without disabling BT and it worked. Odd ....

There are so many different OS settings & security system combinations that not everything will work for everyone ... best that can be done is try all the fixes and/or call support for specific assistance. 

I am installing from a download and ran into this yesterday. Tried other 'fixes" and gave up. After trying other methods of fixing this issue, I ran across this post this morning and tried it. It worked like a charm, first time. Was not aware of this method to uninstall a program previously.  Thanks!

Ive tried all the fixes except the registry edit. none worked. Finally called intuit support, they had me uninstall H&B and then download H&B from their website. My original software was  on CD from Costco. I originally thought the cd was bad and took it back and got another H&B CD. But no, same switches to TurboTax Basic after install and when you enter the key you get the 606 error. Tried it on two different computers - same result. So anyway after installing the download it switched to Basic but when i entered the key it figured it out and came up as H&B.

My recommendation, don't use a CD to install, use a downloaded version.

My experience was both CD and download returned the same defect. Of course they could have fixed the download version by now.

sooner

This is a joke, and a complete waste of time to try and figure out why my program was working perfectly until this update came out.  Now i can't use the program.  Amazon will refund my money and i will go back to the other tax software program.  NOT WORTH THE TIME!

Sooner

Not a lot of info in you post. After seeing your post I updated and it gave me form view only and error code 25300. Gotta love it TT needs to get off the dime and fix this. Don't think we are are alone here.

Round Two with this. Was working fine until update. Downlaod, to PCReboot, Unistall broken TT software, Reboot, Shutdown every aspect of BitDefender, Install, Voila

Seems like the situation has morphed. Can't wait for next weeks challenge. TT updates almost every time you open it. If I have to do this every time Grrrr!

I started out with error code 606 after installing a downloaded version of TT. After trying most "cures" found here. The one that included registry modifications I totally dismissed. However, I tried one that said go into the Windows Settings/APPS/TurboTax2019. Clicked on it, hit uninstall then repair. To my amazement, it started to do its thing,went all the way through the process instead of dropping/crashing about 3/4 through and when it was done the program came up and, it said Deluxe instead of basic. All seemed good until my wife started using it the next day and said there was another error. This time 25300. closed the program, went to the start menu/TT2019, right click, run as admin. The program started to load and immediately, the update box popped up. At first nothing happened but I just waited and waited. After 5 or so minutes it started to update files which included a "critical" program update. When it finished all was good, finally. I run Win10 and Bitdefender. I didn't disable anything during the process. I guess patience was the answer this time.

Thanks Joe M. Without your help I would have given up a long time ago. I had to go through your cycle twice for it to work. Keep caring, you are amazing!

Got CD from Costco - sure enough the 606 error. went to do the repair, clicked repair when prompted, but it just said uninstalling, but came back to registration window when I launched it and same 606 error. Took advice to install from download - logged in, added lic code and got DL exe. But just to be on safe side, I tuned off bitdefender protection. Installed ok, launched and asked to get updates - ok, launched app again, asked for lic code again - it accepted it and opened TT, shows as Deluxe now. Wasn't concerned when it showed as basic - figured that's a generic screen used for lic code and sure enough it rectified the version upon actual launch. Closed TT, re-enabled bitdefender, launched TT again, yay! It opened cleanly, found last year, imported info, checked it all looked right and began 2019. saved file, closed and opened TT, twice just to be sure.

Hopefully no more glitches. This is first year I can recall needing the lic code to authenticate, suspect they are trying to limit sharing. FWIW, upon first install from CD, there did seem to be some security notices but they went by too fast to see full path of the offending file or process. Looking at both bitdefender events and windows security dashboard events showed nothing. Tried to find offenders in the event log but not certain which offenses blocked the authentication, maybe firewall exception was not set prior to the app trying to connect. not sure. but its working now and it only took 2 hrs from start to happy ending!

Remora123

I had the same Error code 606 after  installing TT deluxe from CD version purchased thru Amazon.    After reading this thread I figured it was my Bitdefender causing the problem.  I took jk11's advice and ran Windows Event Viewer  (right click Windows starter icon; launch Event Viewer from drop down; click on "Windows Logs" then the "Application" tab).  Sure enough there was an "Application Error" showing "Faulting module path:C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\".  I did the following:

1. completely uninstalled TT
  2. shut off Bitdefender Anti-Virus
  3. rebooted
  4. went into my TT account, entered my license code and downloaded TT Deluxe from the website
  5. installed the downloaded file
  6. rebooted
  7. launched TT -- FYI the banner still came up as Basic
  8. TT asked to update (which it didn't do in earlier attempts when Anti-Virus was active)
  9. after the  update it asked for and accepted the license code and fully launched as the Deluxe version

After a few minutes, however, it did crash so I rebooted again (Anti-Virus was still off).  When I opened the program after the reboot it completed another update including a "critical" program update from 1/21/20.  Since then it's been stable even after turning Bitdefender back on.  I hope this helps anyone else with the Error 606 issue...

justinschmidt9
Returning Member

Ive tried everything and nothing works, still same error 606...what the [removed] is wrong with turbotax?

How is there no fixed version of this so many months later?

ive used TT for over a decade and theyre about to lose my business over this bull**bleep**

Use this website to contact TurboTax support for this situation:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies