turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2 Jobs - 2 HSA accounts - one with Individual and other with family

I have a unique situation:

Job A : Individual HSA account

Job B : Family HSA account

The 2019 MAX family contribution limit for HSA is $7000  family and $3500 for individual

When I will file my taxes how will I report these HSA contributions in the tax? Am I supposed to club both of them together and make sure I don't go beyond family Max of $7000?

Thanks much

Kevin

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You must make sure you do NOT exceed the family max no matter how many accounts you have...best to only use one account to make sure this doesn't happen ...make the change NOW to avoid messiness & penalties later.

You mean I need to close one of the accounts and keep only 1 active ?  If I do that then I will lose employer mtaching contribution which I am still awaiting on. Can I close it once I get the emplyer match on the one that I am on as an individual?

Is it allowed to have more than 1 active accounts ensuring that I don't exceed family max combining both of them?

Thanks

dmertz
Level 15

It's your HDHP insurance that is either self-only or family, not the HSA accounts.  HSA accounts are owned by only one individual.

And individual can have and contribute to multiple HSA accounts.  With family HDHP coverage at at least one of the employers, the family-coverage contribution limit applies and the total HSA contributions to all of the HSA accounts is not permitted to exceed the family-coverage contribution limit (plus the HSA owner's catch-up contribution to the HSA ower's account if age 55 or over).   If both spouses are HSA-eligible and one spouse has family HDHP coverage, both spouses are treated as having family HDHP coverage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

you can have 50 HSA's.     the overall limitation is still the same.   $7,000 (with additional $1,000 if one of you over 55)  the max that can you and you spouse can contribute is reduced by employer matching contributions.  

the rules state that if either spouse has family coverage, both are treated as having family coverage.  Each is treated as having the lower annual deductible of either  plan.  thus the minimum annual deductible for both plans must be the family limit of $2,700 with a maximum deductible of $13,300   (these $ are 2018)  .   if the self only plan has a deductible less than the $2,700. neither can contribute to an HSA because the "family" is not covered by a High Deductible Health Plan 

$4,500 single / $9,000 family innetwork.
$13,500 single / $27,000 family out-of-network.

The single plan has an annual deductible of $4500 in network and $13500 out of network

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies