Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

17 yrs old 7/3/19. My parents claimed me as a dependent. My first year working. Earned $6K. When sending my own taxes it says Primary can't be claimed as dependent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

17 yrs old 7/3/19. My parents claimed me as a dependent. My first year working. Earned $6K. When sending my own taxes it says Primary can't be claimed as dependent.

Did you say that you provided more than half of your own support?  If so, your parents cannot claim you.  Your parents are likely providing more than half your support.  You will file as single, no dependents; your standard deduction will eliminate your income--no taxable income, no tax liability, and a full refund of any federal and state income taxes withheld.

AJ
Level 6

Your parents would claim you as their dependent.  This is a very normal case.  So when you file your own return, then you cannot claim yourself as your own dependent.  Your parents likely provide your housing, and with the housing considered, it is unlikely that $6000 pays more than half of your support.

When answering the initial questions, you need to answer the initial questions such that you indicate that someone else can claim you as a dependent on their return.

On the print copy of your From 1040, look at the section that follows your name and address.  In the area that is marked "Standard Deduction" on  Form 1040, you should have an X in the box to indicate that someone can claim you as a dependent.  If that box isn't checked, go back and answer the question that someone else will claim you as their dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies