Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ijanes

1120S Shareholder loan; where do I place this to see if as a deduction in income

In Turbo Tax Business 1120S for 2022,

where to I put a shareholders loan

Shouldn't this reduce income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1120S Shareholder loan; where do I place this to see if as a deduction in income

Loans from shareholders or loans to shareholders go in the Balance Sheet as an asset or liability.

The loan itself is not a deduction... but when you use the proceeds to pay for company expenses, those expenses are deductible in your P&L... for example. You pay rent with the loan... the loan is not an expense but the rent it is. Payments to the loan reduces your note payable in the balance sheet... Payments are not expenses nor income..

Remember, for a loan to be a legitimate loan, you need to documented it as loan, with a Note Payable and paying interests , just like a loan from a Bank..

Hope it helps..

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You need to consult with a tax professional.

See https://taxexperts.naea.org/expertdirectory

Loans to shareholders are not deductible for the corporation and, in fact, the corporation will recognize income to the extent the shareholders pay interest on the loans. 

The loan would be entered on your balance sheet if you keep one.

Loans from shareholders or loans to shareholders go in the Balance Sheet as an asset or liability.

The loan itself is not a deduction... but when you use the proceeds to pay for company expenses, those expenses are deductible in your P&L... for example. You pay rent with the loan... the loan is not an expense but the rent it is. Payments to the loan reduces your note payable in the balance sheet... Payments are not expenses nor income..

Remember, for a loan to be a legitimate loan, you need to documented it as loan, with a Note Payable and paying interests , just like a loan from a Bank..

Hope it helps..

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies