Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R What did you do with the money from Bank A

I need help answering the question: What did you do with the money from Bank A.

I withdrew $5000 from my 401K and transferred it to my IRA at Bank A. I took the check for $5000 to Bank A and deposited it. A month or so later, I took out $2000 and had taxes taken out of it. Bank A sent me a 1099-R with $5000 in Box 1 and 2a. Taxable amount not determined is check marked. Box 4 is $200. Box 7 is 7-Normal distribution. The IRA/SEP/SIMPLE is check marked. So, I have two questions: Is the distribution code correct? How should I respond to the TurboTax question "What did you do with the money from Bank A" Option1: I moved the money to another retirement account, or Option 2 I did something else with it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, since you took the money in your hands rather than a custodian to custodian transfer, you have to tell the program that you rolled the money over yourself. This had to have been done within 60 days.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, since you took the money in your hands rather than a custodian to custodian transfer, you have to tell the program that you rolled the money over yourself. This had to have been done within 60 days.

dmertz
Level 15

This Form 1099-R is telling you and the IRA that you took $5,000 out of your traditional IRA at Bank A, not $2,000.  The $5,000 distributed from the 401(k) would have been reported on a different Form 1099-R.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies