Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R Form with no entry in Box 16

I received a 1099-R from my inherited IRA, parents passing .  Box 14 (State tax withheld with substantial amount withheld by the state) and Box 15 (State No) are filled in, but there is *no* dollar value in box 16 (State Distribution).  There is, of course, a substantial value in Box 1 and 2A (Distribution and taxable distribution).  I would assume that box 16 should be same for my state as its taxable.  Should I override the import and put the same value in for Box 16 or leave it blank and TurboTax desktop will 'know' that income should flow to my state return eventually?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I usually use the box 2a value for the box 16 value  ...as long as box 2a has a non-zero value (usually the same as box 1)

If I leave box 16 empty on the main screen, and go thru the follow-up page questions, just after the main 1099-R form entries, TTX ends up backfilling box 16 with the value in 2a  (at least for my software and NC state).

The only main issue might happen is if box 2a is empty and "Undetermined" is checked nearby.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

Thanks.  After I went through the entire interview process, including the State module, Box 16 in those 1099-Rs indeed were filled in with the box 2A amounts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I usually use the box 2a value for the box 16 value  ...as long as box 2a has a non-zero value (usually the same as box 1)

If I leave box 16 empty on the main screen, and go thru the follow-up page questions, just after the main 1099-R form entries, TTX ends up backfilling box 16 with the value in 2a  (at least for my software and NC state).

The only main issue might happen is if box 2a is empty and "Undetermined" is checked nearby.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks.  After I went through the entire interview process, including the State module, Box 16 in those 1099-Rs indeed were filled in with the box 2A amounts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies