Skip to main content
Level 2
April 15, 2026
Question

1099-R Estate

  • April 15, 2026
  • 4 replies
  • 56 views

I reeived 1099-Rfor my mothers Estate, not yet closed. She passed in 11-2024. Do I need to file this now or do I wait until the Estate closes?  If I file now, how do I do that??

    4 replies

    Hi Palms
    Level 7
    April 15, 2026

    @user17762259234 wrote:

    I reeived 1099-Rfor my mothers Estate, not yet closed. She passed in 11-2024. Do I need to file this now or do I wait until the Estate closes?  If I file now, how do I do that??


    If the estate received the 1099-R then the estate probably needs to file a 1041.

    Level 2
    April 15, 2026

    This is all so confusing.  My parents both passed in 11-2024, so I filed my parents final return for Tax year 2024 in April 2025.  I closed out this IRA in May 2025.  So the only form I need to fill out is the 1041 for the Estate?  haha I say only, I've gone over this form and it's confusing!  I called the IRS tonight at 8:30pm for help; they were closed!  The day before filing is due, they don't have a 24 hr. help line?? Ridiculous!

    Hi Palms
    Level 7
    April 15, 2026

    Usually retirement plans, annutiies, and the like will name beneficiaries and avoid probate and estate income tax filing for that purpose. If there is no beneficiary named, the estate becomes the beneficiary in a sense and then the estate receives the proceeds and needs to file a 1041.