Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member


My 16 year old daughter received a 1099-NEC for working at a horse stable.  No taxes were withheld.  She made around $3854.  I've entered all job related expenses.  Is it true that she owes $544 to the federal government? IF so, why as she is a student? This form is new to me. 


Thank you!

2 Replies
Level 15



If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc or 1099NEC then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.  You may want to use this version of TT for that:



The fact that she is a student does not exempt your child from paying tax.  Age is not a factor.   She owes self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare since those were not deducted from her pay.  She was paid as an "independent contractor" so the IRS considers her to be self-employed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
New Member


That"s what my husband and I were thinking.  Thank you!

Privacy Settings