turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC - Software issue?

I entered a 1099-NEC for my spouse, but Turbo Tax Deluxe keep attributing this income to me. Is this a known software issue? Is this a problem for me to file with this incorrect attribution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

69 Replies

I have this same problem. It is also a problem trying to add new 1099 NEC forms- it won't let me add any new forms and keeps substituting existing forms. Also, the forms don't show as usual, just form numbers. 

ftrekker

I am having this same problem. Looking for guidance on this.

This is definitely a problem that TurboTax needs to fix ASAP. And unfortunately, it's not the only one. However, I figured out a way to make the current software work. It will take some patience, but you'll eventually make it work out. Once you have your schedule Cs set up, you can enter most of the information using easystep. Don't worry too much at the moment about getting the 1099 NEC income correct- you'll work that out in the forms mode. Once you've gotten as much into your schedule Cs as you can, start working on the 1099 NEC forms. Use the "forms" button to access forms (upper left button). You can start by opening one 1099 NEC form, and from there, you can make more 1099 NEC forms. Open a 1099 NEC worksheet (start with one that is not assigned properly).  Then, you have to do two things to assign the income properly. First, make sure the form is assigned to the correct person-- the primary person on the 1040 or the spouse of that person. Then, where it says "Double click to link to schedule C", double click and choose the schedule C you want that NEC to link to. Make sure the 1099 amount information from box 1 is filled in correctly, and any other boxes from the form (box 2, etc.). Then, click anywhere in the form to make sure your entries are processed by TurboTax. Now, you can work on another 1099NEC form. If you want to make another 1099 NEC form, click on "Quickzoom to another form 1099 NEC worksheet." From there, though it's not obvious, click the button "enter Payer's name", put in the payer's name and click the Open button. This will make a new blank form for your new NEC. Make sure the new form is assigned to the correct person and schedule C, as described above.  That should do it. 

My exact problem as well. Very concerning.

Hi Wyatt. See the response I just posted. I think that will work. 

Thank you!  I will try that.  I started down that path but was having issues.  I will try your specific instruction.  Thank you!

Thank you! I will try this!

Same.

In Wages & Income > Business Items > Business Income & Expenses > Add Business I can add one 1099-NEC, but when I add the next one, the first one disappears from all calculations.

I'm going to assume TurboTax will fix this over the next days or weeks. Otherwise, I will give @alexanderschuh 's fix a try.

I am using Turbo Tax Deluxe for PC

Thank you for this solution! It worked perfectly.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue linking a 1099-NEC to the correct person. The name on the NEC is reverting to the main taxpayer's name.

If you're experiencing  the issue above,  please go here to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, but the issue is more extensive than that.

In Turbotax Deluxe > Wages & Income > Business Items > Business Income & Expenses > Add Business, I can add one 1099-NEC, but when I add the next one, the first one disappears from all calculations.

This happens whether the 1099-NEC's are both for the same business, or different businesses -- even different taxpayers.

There is no issue with 1099-Misc's.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@gk777  This is an issue that TurboTax is working on, please sign up for email updates in this TurboTax FAQ: Why am I not able to link my 1099-NEC in TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks @MichelleLO , but I'm not even getting that far to see the linking issue or get the linking error.

For example, when I input a 1099-NEC for $18,000, I can see my taxes owed increase in the ticker at the top of the screen.

Then, when I input a second 1099-NEC for $9600 (a lower amount), I can see my taxes owed decrease.

When I go to check on it, the first 1099-NEC has disappeared. If I add it back, the second one disappears, and my tax burden goes back up again. This continues for as long as I try to add 1099-NECs.

Again, this is in Turbotax Deluxe > Wages & Income > Business Items > Business Income & Expenses > Add Business.

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies