Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC Missing info, but I can't find what it is (2023)

I'm using turbo-tax self employed. I completed everything under the section where I enter the 1099-NEC. I have deleted and re-entered it multiple times and it still tells me there is missing information.  I can't find anything missing and it won't let me move forward without having me link the 1099NEC to the Schedule C. When I jump to schedule c, it just takes me back to where I started.  Please help. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

The 1099NEC only has an amount in box 1.  Maybe you need to fill out more info on Schedule C.

Actually I would delete the 1099NEC and enter your total income as Other self employment income or as Cash or General income.  You don't need to get a 1099NEC or 1099Misc or 1099K.  Even if you did you can enter all your income as Cash.  Only the total goes to schedule C.

On  Schedule C.  You use your own records.  You are considered self employed and have to fill out a schedule C for business income.   You use your own name, address and ssn or business name and EIN if you have one.   You should say you use the Cash Accounting Method and all income is At Risk.   

How do I change the schedule C? When I jump to schedule c, it just takes me to the 1099 section.  And so you are saying I can add this 1099-NEC income to my other 1099-NEC?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

To get to the Schedule C you can select the following:

• Federal
  • Wages and Income
  • Review next to Self Employment Income
  • Review next to the business you are trying to edit

Yes, if you have a business where you received multiple 1099-NEC's you can either use your accounting records and enter your income from your books, just keeping the 1099s with your records or you can enter multiple 1099-NECs for the same business by scrolling to the bottom of the screen after you are in the review section of the business and clicking "Add income for this work".  

If you have 1099-NEC's and 1099-K's that are reporting the same income, when you enter the 1099-K, you will enter the info from your 1099-K and then select the box that says "This amount in box 1a is too high or includes some personal transactions" and then you will be able to enter the amount that is reported on your other documents so you are not duplicating income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
9er

I'm not self employed but having the same issue. As part of a class action lawsuit I received a small payment, this was reported on a 1099-NEC. However, I have filled out everything possible and Turbotax keeps telling me information is missing and the incomplete form will be removed. I don't know what else to provide.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

The income from the 1099-NEC for the class action lawsuit is not self-employment and should be reported as other income. You will need to delete the 1099-NEC that you entered.

You can enter the 1099-NEC this way if it was not received for self-employment

1. Wages & Income
  2. Other Common Income
  3. Select Income from a 1099-NEC
  4. Enter the payer's name
  5. EIN Number
  6. Amount you received
  7. Describe the reason for this 1099-NEC = State what it was for
  8. Does one of these uncommon situations apply?
  9. Click This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed individual, 
  10. Do not enter any expenses, or this will be considered self-employment income.

@9er 

On a slightly   different topic, but relating to missing info on 1099 INT.... I am helping a small business file their 1099 NEC for subcontractors. The business owner neglected to have his subcontractor fill out W9 Form, While chasing these people down to get their address and TIN or SSN, I have two hold outs who refuse to provide their info. One I have a company and address and spoke to owner 3 time, the other is an individual without a registered business or TIN who will not provide their SSN or address (only have their name). What do I do for filing these and stay in compliance and avoid penalties if we don't get info by Jan 31st? We e filed the ones we did have the info for yesterday using Intuit Quick Employer Forms. If we get info late, can we still use and e file that or have to use paper forms and mail in? If we have to mail those in a write ""refused" like  IRS recommends, do we have do a 1096 that includes the ones we already e filed, or just the ones we mail in Wow, what  a mess just because owner didn't get them to do w-9 forms!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Yes.  You have to mail ALL of it in.  Add the two 1099s for the two contractors refusing to provide their data.  Then print out the 1096 and copy A of all of the 1099s.  Write "Refused" in the spaces that are empty on the two 1099s and mail the whole thing.  

You also must provide copies of the 1099-NEC forms to all of the contractors by January 31st.  That includes the two who have refused to provide you with information.  For the one, you have an address so just mail it to them.  For the other, I assume that you have a phone number or email address.  Inform them that you are holding the form that you have filed with the IRS that tells the IRS they refuse to provide their social security number and they can pick it up anytime.  If nothing else that'll make them nervous.

Then tell your friend to collect W9s on all of his contractors.

@patriotmike76 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies