turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

bdr5240
Returning Member

1099-NEC for spouse - software glitch? I am single and have no income to report with this form

Well, thanks for the info, that will probably work, but I don't really want to spend an extra $40 to cover $960 of income from my wife.  I guess this will be the last year I will use Turbo Tax since I can't expect them to provide a quality product any more.

My wife does not run her own business.  She is a coordinator for Foreign Exchange Students.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC for spouse - software glitch? I am single and have no income to report with this form

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  Please click on the following link and sign up for an email notification when it's fixed.  

1099 NEC link to spouse

Thank You for your patience

Beginning with the 2020 tax year, the IRS will require business taxpayers to report nonemployee compensation on the new Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. Businesses will need to use this form if they made payments totaling $600 or more to a nonemployee, such as an independent contractor.  This was done to help clarify the separate filing deadlines on Form 1099-MISC and the new 1099-NEC form will be used starting with the 2020 tax year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What I did, my husband and I are filing married jointly, so that I could get past this I restarted and created a whole new form, but instead of putting my husband’s name in first, I put mine in, and the 1099-NEC fell right into place.....I know that is not an answer for some of you who have both 1099-NEC, but it worked for me......oh ps: while I was finishing up, a question popped up on the self employment deferral tax, you may get more back but you may need to pay more out in 2021, it is a tax deferral due to COVID under the Cares Act.

I’ve been having the same issue. Called turbo tax 3 times! No one seems to know when this will be resolved! Really frustrating! 
I tried deleting 1099-NEC forms (my husband and I each have one) and redoing them again. I tried deleting them completely and see if I could get passed that screened. Nope nothing works! 

tyj1
Level 1

getting this as well and supremely annoyed seeing how I already paid for the deluxe service or whatever and can't even file. any way around this?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  Please click on the following link and sign up for an email notification when it's fixed.  

1099 NEC link to spouse

Why am I not able to link my 1099-NEC

Thank You for your patience

Beginning with the 2020 tax year, the IRS will require business taxpayers to report nonemployee compensation on the new Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. Businesses will need to use this form if they made payments totaling $600 or more to a nonemployee, such as an independent contractor.  This was done to help clarify the separate filing deadlines on Form 1099-MISC and the new 1099-NEC form will be used starting with the 2020 tax year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
oposada
Returning Member

The link below may help explain the glitch. 

10-99-NEC glitch | TurboTax Notice 

This does not help at all. This problem has been going on since early January. I’m going to switch software on Monday if it’s not fixed by then. 

this is the longest that TurboTax has taken to fix an error. 

I need my refund. I can’t wait any longer. I’m going to be busy at work until may and this was my only window to complete my taxes with as much attention that I have given it. It’s unfortunate because I have used TurboTax for 20 years. 

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Try deleting the 1099-NEC, clearing your browser cache and cookies, and re-entering in the self-employed income screens.  If this is for Self-employed income return, try entering it in the self-employed business income screen versus in the 1099-NEC add screen. Cookies are small files that temporarily store data on your computer. We use them to personalize your experience so you see information you already entered and not items that are irrelevant or repetitive.
On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser.
Each browser has a slightly different method for deleting cookies. Choose the browser you're using:

After you have logged in and are in your return:

• Go to Search at the top of the screen.
  • then enter Form Schedule C in the search box. 
  • You will see a Go To function that will take you to the Sch C input screens. 
  • There add the Business Information.

The pandemic has affected your taxes in many ways. Including reporting in TurboTax the amount of stimulus money you received. Click Here for more information on how the Pandemic affected your 2020  taxes.

Antcruz18

I was almost done sound my taxes. When I get asked about my "spouses 1099- nec"??

I do NOT have a spouse please help

SamS1
Expert Alumni

You will need to sign up to be notified when fixed.  Click here for an email sign up when the problem is fixed.

@QueenClio523 I am having exactly this same problem. No spouse, no 1099-NEC for 2020, but TurboTax wants me to fill in details from my spouse's 1099-NEC. (This also didn't come up until the "Review" stage of completing my taxes; it did not come up anywhere in filling out my federal or state information.) Have you been able to make any progress?

I gave up and mailed our taxes. Sucks that turbo tax has had this glitch for like 3 weeks now and unable to fix it! Will be considering using a different program next year to file my taxes. 

Ok, thank you. I removed it from the income and. Left in schedule c and it seemed to fix it and it was still calculated correctly. Thank you!

Yes I was! What happened was that the 1099-misc files from the previous year had transferred over. Once I deleted them it worked. However, it was hard for me to get back to them. I think when I searched 1099-nec it redirected me there.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies