Gerard041051

Can Amway create a 1099-Misc with 2 names and only 1 social

My wife's brother worked as an Amway sales representative. He has returned to China and is not here to file taxes. He wants to pay taxes in case he ever wants to return to the US. Amway issued a 1099-misc with his name and my wife's name and only his social security number. My wife has never worked with Amway in any capacity, but she wants to get her brothers taxes paid. How will the IRS treat the income? Only as his or will they search their data base to match my wife's name and split the income?

SherylSTaxExpert

1099 MISC only contains one social security number. If the income applied to your wife's brother then he would claim it in its entirety. That obligation goes to the person who has their social security number shown on the document. 

SherylSTaxExpert