turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TH2

1042-S for a resident alien: How do I enter the amount of tax withheld to avoid getting taxed twice?

I've been on F1 visa for over 5 years so I'm a resident alien. I received 1042-S (income code 15) and there is tax withheld. I gathered that I can enter the income reported on 1042-S as fellowship under educational expenses. But where can I enter the amount of tax withheld so that I can avoid getting taxed twice or get a return?

Thank you! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1042-S for a resident alien: How do I enter the amount of tax withheld to avoid getting taxed twice?

Yes, you do enter the income as a fellowship. The withhheld taxes you can enter under credits-deductions -> estimated and other taxes withheld.

You should file on paper to add the copy of the 1042s.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
tax-point

A friend has received a form 1042-S (Income Code 52), she lives in the United States legally now as a political refugee, how can you enter the data in this way 1042-S in turbo tax? The income is interest on the shares of a company.
tax-point

I need help please

since when is your friend in the US?

I'm 70 years old. Am a US citizen, who resides in Israel for the past 16 years. This year I  withdrew $8000 from my IRA. CITI sent me an 1042-S for $2400 FTW. How do I report it on my  Federal Tax return?

Thanks

You recommend paper filing and adding the paper form to it. However on the form itself it says not to include it with the return?

Yes, you do enter the income as a fellowship. The withhheld taxes you can enter under credits-deductions -> estimated and other taxes withheld.

You should file on paper to add the copy of the 1042s.

TH2

Thanks, bine22!
cghodke13

where to enter fellowship income? can you plz elaborate? I am an Indian student on F1 visa (for more than 5 years) and therefore a resident alien for tax purpose. I received 1042-S (code 15) and also 1099-MISC (as an award money). Not sure where to enter these amounts? Can you please help? Thanks

chhodke13 - I am in the same situation as yours (PhD student from India and have been here for 7 years, so resident for tasx purpose). I received 1042-S. From what I understand from my extensive reading of this forum - if you received 1042-S (income code 15, that is scholarship/fellowship) for which you have already paid state and income tax), report the income as a scholarship on turbo tax. This is available under Deduction and Credits. This will be your scholarship/fellwoship income that is reported on 1042-S. Now, to report the income tax that you have, go to Deductions and Credits and jump to the Full List for All Tax Breaks. As mentioned by bine 22, find the Estimates and Other Taxes Withheld and report the tax paid here.

Please correct me if I am incorrect about anything here. This seems to be the best way to handle this situation on turbo tax
fnokeke

@akshaypb16:  I'm in the same situation -- resident alien with 1042S. One quick question. When reporting the income as "scholarship", I got "Did You Receive a Scholarship in 2014" to which I answered "Yes" while stating the amount. But the next question is confusing.

"Did Your Aid Include Amounts Not Awarded for 2014 Expenses?" I read the "Explain This" but couldn't tell if I should answer Yes as it skews the refund figures.

Thanks
RotishaG

Businesses and Institutions use form 1042-S to report any monetary payment to a non-resident alien. Currently, TurboTax does not support this form.

If you received a 1042-S, we can connect you with a CPA experienced with Form 1042-S using TurboTax Personal Pro.

Cut and paste this link into your web browser: https://pro.turbotax.intuit.com/?d4770

This 08/15 answer does not apply, since the asker is a resident alien

Has TurboTax changed anything? Because I can't seem to find credits-deductions -> estimated and other taxes withheld. Can someone guide me?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions below. 

•        Click on Federal Taxes 

•        Click on Deductions and Credits

•        Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)

•        Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

•        On Estimates, click on the start or update button

Please refer to the following article for detailed information.

Where do I enter my 4 estimated tax payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies