Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1041 Tier 1 vs Tier 2

I'm trustee of a trust that has a 3% unitrust required distribution.   The distribution usually exceeds accounting income and DNI.  Tier 1 is described on the TT form as 'Required Amount' (of the amount distributed to a beneficiary.  However, if the required distribution exceeds accounting income, should the excess be put in the Tier 2 box?  A previous post claimed that you don't have to enter the excess in either box because all of the trust accounting income would have been distributed to the beneficiary to pay tax on it.  But if I put the excess in the Tier 2 box, an amount is shown on the K-1 in Box 12 as an Alternative minimum tax adjustment.  If I don't report the excess in either Tier 1 or Tier 2, then there is no amount in the K-1 Box 12.  So my question is how should the excess be shown, Tier 1, Tier 2, or not at all.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1041 Tier 1 vs Tier 2

Generally, an amount that exceeds DNI would be considered corpus and not reportable.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

1041 Tier 1 vs Tier 2

Generally, an amount that exceeds DNI would be considered corpus and not reportable.

1041 Tier 1 vs Tier 2

Thanks.  So I'll apply the unitrust distribution to Tier 1 up to the amount of Accounting Income/DNI and any excess will not be reported.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies