Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dlf1981
Returning Member

1040X filing when original refund was not paid

Due to a transposed number on my original filing, I have been instructed to file an amended return. When attempting to amend in TurboTax, I can not find a way to tell the software that my full refund is to be claimed - it's reducing me to $0 which I understand would be correct had I received a refund already, but I have not and am filing to correct an error.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Looks like you have the Desktop program?  Switch to Forms Mode and open the 1040X and change it on the form.  It may not let you efile it you override an amount.  Why can't you wait to amend until you get the first refund?  What number on your original return are you changing?  Did the IRS tell you to amend?

dlf1981
Returning Member

The IRS instructed me to file the amended return. There will be no refund until the return is amended due to the error I mentioned (my typo). 

These fields aren't editable in TurboTax

But what is the typo?  Is it an amount or is it number like in your bank account?  You can't amend to change the bank or routing number.  Something doesn't sound right.

dlf1981
Returning Member

As I explained, I transposed a number from a W-2. My account was held under review for identify verification and after dealing with the TAS they found this mistake. The IRS directed me to file an amended return and correct the numbers - they cannot edit my tax return on my behalf. I would appreciate assistance if you have any to offer but I do not intend to continue justifying myself. 

I think I see what the issue is or what you think is wrong in TurboTax.

But, we can't see your return and we don't know what you did.

The refund you didn't get goes on 1040-X anyway, as if you did get it.

See 1040-X line 18 overpayment if any , shown on original return.

Thus you must file as if you had already received your refund.

So TurboTax is correct.

Per 1040-X instructions:

"Any additional refund you are entitled to on Form 1040-X will
be sent separately from any refund you haven’t yet received
from your original return."

If the IRS is holding the original refund until you send in the amended return then the amount of the original refund on line 18 should be zero.  SO ... if you are using the downloaded version you can manually change the amount on the 1040X   OR   print the 1040X and manually change the line 18 amount and recompute the rest of the form.   Either way you will need to mail in the return to the address on the IRS notice using the notice as a cover sheet.

@Critter-3 

If overpayment as previously adjusted by IRS is now ZERO,

there should be a way to do this in TurboTax so that you can e-File your corrections.

P.S. I'm not so sure this is what happened.

It would be nice and several years ago the program used to actually ask "how much refund did you get?"  or "how much did you pay?"  but now it just assumes that you got all of the refund or paid the entire tax bill ... a real short coming especially this year where there will be lots of IRS changes that need to be reflected on the 1040X. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies