Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

1024-S income code 20

I am an international student from China who came to the states in 2015. I turned into a resident alien last year (2020), so this will be my first time to file federal tax as a resident alien. I am a phd student and receive a scholarship as a graduate assistant which covers tuition and fees, insurance, and salary. So I received both W-2 and 1024-S form. The university payroll also set up my tax treaty so the first $5000 annual income was not taxed in 2020. So in my case, I don’t need to file an 8833 form anymore since the payroll did it already, am I correct? Then how should I submit my 1042-S (income code 20) in TurboTax?

2 Replies
Level 1

1024-S income code 20

If you're resident for tax purposes, you'll fie you tax return Form 1040, resident tax return. You don't need to submit form 8833. As for Form 1042-S (code 20), you can enter that follow these steps

Select Take me to my return 

From the top, select tab Federal Taxes /Wages and Income 

Scroll down to Less Common Income section

Choose Miscellaneous Income

Select the very first option at the top "Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099".  Then follow the prompts.





Returning Member

1024-S income code 20

Thank you!

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings