turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I adjust my withholding to realize the 7500$ plug in hybrid credit? I want to buy a new car but only if I can get the 7500 back by either lowering tax paid or refund.

I usually receive a refund due to having children, paying for daycare, student loan, wife in college full time, etc. If I can adjust my taxes being withheld to a minimum amount, would I be able to justify the additional cost of the plug in and how?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Can I adjust my withholding to realize the 7500$ plug in hybrid credit? I want to buy a new car but only if I can get the 7500 back by either lowering tax paid or refund.

Your withholding doesn't change the tax liability.  You need to look at your tax return and see how much TAX is on Line 44 of your 1040.  That's what can be offset by the electric vehicle credit.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Thank you, I understand that part.  I am determining if I can adjust my tax withholding to 0$ being withheld from my paycheck if my Tax liability on line 44 is over 7500. That way I am not paying the tax money out of my paycheck and can actualize the credit in money in my pocket.

Yes you can.... increase your withholding allowances on your W-4 to 10.

Just be aware of underwitholding your state taxes, as they may not have a similar tax credit.

Thank you all! I live in Texas so we have no state taxes!

Solved in comments.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies