turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rmgraing

My wife's W2 is showing 3,500 in box12 with code W. She contributed 2500 and her employer contributed 1,000. From 8889 in the prepared return is showing all 3,500 as employer contributed. How do I override that to show 2,500 from us and 1,000 from the emp

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

My wife's W2 is showing 3,500 in box12 with code W. She contributed 2500 and her employer contributed 1,000. From 8889 in the prepared return is showing all 3,500 as employer contributed. How do I override that to show 2,500 from us and 1,000 from the emp

All contributions made through payroll deductions are listed as code W, employer contributions, regardless of whether the contribution came from the employer or the employee.

It's treated as coming "from employment." and it's excluded from your wages in box 1(pre-tax). You can't deduct the $2500 that your wife contributed, as it's already been excluded from her income. 

If she contributed an additional amount (after tax) on her own, you would enter that as an additional contribution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

All contributions made through payroll deductions are listed as code W, employer contributions, regardless of whether the contribution came from the employer or the employee.

It's treated as coming "from employment." and it's excluded from your wages in box 1(pre-tax). You can't deduct the $2500 that your wife contributed, as it's already been excluded from her income. 

If she contributed an additional amount (after tax) on her own, you would enter that as an additional contribution.

rmgraing

The problem is the HSA contributions were not deducted from Box 1 wages, only 401(K) contributions were deducted from Box 1 wages. I have e-mailed her payroll department to check on their recommendation or to issue a corrected W2.
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Your wife's HSA contributions, if they are part of an employer "cafeteria plan" would be exempt from both Federal taxes and Social Security, so it wouldn't be in box 3. See page 11 of these instructions:<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2w3.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2w3.pdf</a>
rmgraing

Thx. TurboTaxIsabellaG.
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies